Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trying to reinstall xp...have questions on message received

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Kim25

Kim25

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:15 PM

I just tried to reinstall windows xp with a cd from Dell ( Reinstallation cd windows xp home edition). I cancelled the install after I received this message: "You chose to install xp on a partition that contains another operating system. this may cause the other operating system to not function properly. It is not reccomended to install multi systems on a single partition."
The only choices available for me to choose were Fat or C:NTFS...I chose C. That is what all everyone had said to choose when I was researching how to do this. I also wanted to reformat , but it never gave me that option. What should I do? Help with this is very much appreciated. I have a Dell dimension 4600. I really want to reformat this too. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:57 PM

:flowers:

Have you saved all the Data you need from your HDD?

Post Back first, next step will wipe it out.

Installing it over the top is not a good Idea.

We may be able to work around a reinstall?

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 23 April 2009 - 12:58 PM.

#3 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:05 PM

Yes, I have backed up all my pics and docs that I wanted to keep. I have been having frequent BSOD, also service pack 2 didn't install right when I did the install several months ago...missing files etc. I am ready to start over from scratch, tired of this mess.

#4 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:28 PM

When you start from the disk you will be given the choice to install a fresh copy of windows by pressing the ESC key.
Once you do that then you have to delete the windows partition and recreate it after that you will be given the option to reformat the drive.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#5 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

I think there was an option to delete the partition! So, I just delete the C NTFS partition and then it will give me the option to reformat?

#6 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:55 PM

You will need to tell the machine twice that you want to delete the partition then it will bring you back to the screen with a raw partition. From there you need to create the partition then youy will be given the option to format the disk.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#7 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

OHHH this sounds scary! after I get to the raw partition, is it going to be difficult to create a new one? Also when I get to the format section, should I do the NTFS Quick or select the NTFS file system option that checks the drive for errors? Thanks so much for your help...I'm kinda lost here!

#8 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:03 PM

:flowers:

Read this First? It is a really Great Walk through, Mate.

http://lifehacker.com/software/windows/gee...atch-157578.php

:thumbsup:

#9 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:25 PM

Thanks, that link was very helpful. Now I just need to get my courage up again and go for it!

#10 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

Ok, just when I got my nerve up and tried again...here is what I got when I tried to delete the partition: "Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected partition. This partition contains temporary setup files that are required to complete the installation." What to do now? Is it not going to let me do a clean install? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/sty...default/mad.gif

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:31 PM

If you truly have a reinstall/restore/recovery CD...it makes sense that there are files on the hard drive which might need to be there in order for the reinstall/restore/recovery to proceed properly.

Such CDs are not Microsoft XP install CDs.

You may want to look at http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=dhs&...ery&cat=sup

Louis

#12 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:06 PM

well, I guess I am just going do a restore with F11. I hate that I can't get a clean install. The restore will put service pack 1 back on my computer too :thumbsup: I probably will wait until tomorrow to do this, If anyone has any alternatives, please post! Thanks again for your input.

#13 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:03 PM

I am at my wits end! I have been trying all day to do a reinstall of XP. It should not be this hard to do, but I am running into all kinds of problems. I have a Dell xp reinstallation cd that Dell sent me. I have a Dell dimension 4600 computer.
I started the installation this morning and I cancelled the install after I received this message: "You chose to install xp on a partition that contains another operating system. this may cause the other operating system to not function properly. It is not recommended to install multi systems on a single partition."
The only choices available for me to choose were Fat or NTFS...I chose NTFS.
I posted here this morning and got some advice about what to do and was told to delete the windows partition and recreate it. after that you will be given the option to reformat the drive. Well that didn't work either. here is what I got when I tried to delete the partition: "Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected partition. This partition contains temporary setup files that are required to complete the installation." I Had to cancell the installation once again.
So, I decided to do a restore using F11 even though it wouldn't be a clean install like I originally wanted...by this time I was getting desperate and willing to settle. Guess what? That didn't work either! It just took me back to the same place that the Dell cd had me.

My question at this point is: what good is the darn Dell reinstallation cd or the restore thru F11 if it won't let you reinstall!!!!? I guess you can tell I am not too happy right now.
My next step was to put the reinstallation cd back in and try again with the unrecommended choice of selecting the NTFS partition again with the warning coming up "It is not recommended to install multi systems on a single partition." But it does give the option to go ahead with the install anyway, so I chose that option. This what it said after I chose it "A windows folder already exists that may contain a windows installation. If you continue, the existing Window installation will be overwritten. All files,subfolders, users accts.,applications, security & desktop settings for that Windows installation will be deleted. The 'My Documents' folder may also be deleted.

To use the folder & delete the existing windows installation in it, PRESS L

To use a different folder, PRESS ESC.

F3 to quit setup

Guess what I chose? Yeah F3 again! Oh woe is me, I can't believe this day!

Should I have just selected L and deleted the existing Windows? I almost did, but I chickened out and decided to come here first for advice.

Anyone...tell me what to do? Besides throwing this computer out the window! Thanks for all your help!!!

Kim

#14 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:24 PM

Do you have a Microsoft Windows XP disk?

If you do, at this point, I would just get rid of your Dell restore partition by using that to format and install. If you do not, I would get one and do that.

Apparently your restore partition is useless for some reason that I do not know. I have never had a restore partition and do not want one. I would prefer to just use the disks made by Microsoft

Edited by Stang777, 23 April 2009 - 11:24 PM.

#15 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:37 PM

No, I don't have a xp disk...only the reinstall cd from dell, unfortunately!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users