Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Continues to Restart

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Twister

Mr_Twister

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:52 AM

Hello

I ran into a problem after I formatted my computer due to an infection. I inserted the System restore CD and everything went as usual. Half way through the installation it asks me to insert the second disk but when the comouter attempts to eject the first one the disk tray doesn't open on its own. I've had the disk tray problem for a bit now, I always had to manually open it with a small pin. I've noticed that when it tries to eject and can't it sort of spins the same disk for a little before I'm able to manually eject it. So I change the disks and everthing continues as usual but when its done it asks me to remove the disk and press any key to reboot; it tries to eject the disk and can't and it seems like it spins that one again as well. After manually ejecting the disk tray I press any key and it starts up normally but when its about to fade into the windows logo screen it restarts. It continues to do this even if I try to start it in safe mode. Can this probably be attributed to the disk tray not being able to automatically eject? Is there anything that I can do?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

You either have a process not responding or a damaged driver, more than likely
Look in Device Manager, click on all of the +'s, and look for yellow exclamation points for the offending device.
Also look for errors that happened around the same time, in the Event Viewer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Mr_Twister

Mr_Twister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

Oh okay thanks, sorry to ask but how do I go about doing that?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:10 AM

These may help:

Device Manager Basics - http://www.cybertechhelp.com/tutorial/arti...-manager-basics

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#5 Mr_Twister

Mr_Twister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:57 AM

Hello

Thanks for the info but I can't really try any of these methods because the computer restarts as soon as it is going into the black Windows logo screen during start-up. Is there a way around this? Is it possible that the disk tray not being able to automatically eject cause this?

Thank you

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:43 PM

Is it possible that the disk tray not being able to automatically eject cause this?

One way to find out is to take the side off the case and unplug the power cable to the drive
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 Mr_Twister

Mr_Twister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:24 PM

I thought about that but my theory is that when the system is doing the re-installation and the disk tries to automatically eject it just takes it back in causing the same disk to spin and it counts toward the %100 of the format. I was windering if this could be the problem or would it be a waste to switch out the disk drive?

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

If you are going to swap out the drive, how much extra effort is it to unplug it and try first?
Mark
Posted Image

#9 Mr_Twister

Mr_Twister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:53 AM

I guess your right but I unplugged it and the computer will not even start up without a disk drive. I plugged the drive back in and ran into the same problem. Like i said in an earlier post hen I format i have to switch discs out but since my drive doesn't work it just keeps the first disk in and it begins spinning thinking its the second disk, I assume. Would replacing the drive help?

#10 Mr_Twister

Mr_Twister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

Hello

Anyone has any more advice for my problem?

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users