Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could the mouse be the culprit?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hester pryne

hester pryne

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:49 AM

I am using a 3 y/o Gateway laptop; Windows XP; Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0.; ad-aware SE personal (run occasionally) ....

After the use of several clean up tools under the direction of your amazing team, the Kaspy is working well and my computer appears to be "clean"....but is still acting rather hinky.:thumbsup:

I was directed to this section by Rigel because of lingering problems with basic functions such as follows:

1. The mouse appears to automatically "double click" some of the time. Ex: if I want to go back 1 page, it will go back 2 or, when deleting an e-mail, the one below will also be deleted.
2. It takes several clicks for the favorites menu to stabilize. (appears and then disappears mutiple times before it "takes")
3. When a favorite site is chosen, it often doesn't open...and I'm redirected. Ex: home page is FOX; click on ebay, will be directed to specific Fox news story instead.
4. When attempting to use "select all" function, often several tries are necessary before it "takes" and I am not able to click and drag the mouse to select. It just doesn't happen or is incomplete.
5. Pictures and documents are slow to open and often freeze ("not responding" message)

These are all recent issues since the clean up.

I do not use the Touchpad at all...I use an external optical mouse. I have not tried using keyboard commands for some of these function because, frankly, I don't really know what they are. (Well, I know that "cntrl+c", "cntrl+v" and "cntrl+z" but that's pretty much it.)

Could it be the mouse or something within the computer itself? Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Hester

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:17 PM

One sure way would be to borrow another mouse and see if that's the case
You can run SFC.exe:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
Seeing how we are working with a retail computer, pay attention to the second part where the i386 folder is discussed
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hester pryne

hester pryne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:05 PM

FYI....I don't have another external mouse right at the moment but I disconnected the one I was using and started using the touchpad on the laptop (awkward as h3ll!) and the commands problems are gone.

So I guess I'll get a new mouse...or maybe (as someone suggested) change that battery. Could it really be that simply????

#4 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

It sounds like the buttons are not making the electrical circuit correctly. This happens when some dust, dirt, or oil from your hands or a spilled drink or something gets inside there and forms a thin patina on the metal contacts. You could take it apart and clean it, although just mashing the buttons down hard several times usually cleans them enough to make it work again for some time.
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users