Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Bring up Task Manger

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nites2k

Nites2k

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:41 PM

I opened something that was accidently downlowded and i didnt install anything but opened the program. I closed it then i tried to delete it and it would not let me. Then suddenly norton came up prompting me to either to allow or block two programs which were mediaaccess.exe and toolbar.exe, i choose to block them. The i tried opening taskmanger to see if it was running and end its task to delete it but it wouldnt let me op task manger!

Can anyone help i could really use it.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:44 PM

Funny, a similar situation happened to me.

when you press control+alt+delete does nothing happen? and when you type taskmgr in start>> run does it give you a message like this program is already in use by another program?

Ok if you havent already download ad-aware or spybot search and destroy.

Scan with them in normal mode, then boot in safe mode by reboot and repeatedly tapping f8 then pressing safe mode.

Scan inside safe mode, with norton and ad-aware

Because you didnt allow it to acess the internet it couldnt download the rest of the virus to your computer so chances are it only placed variants in your startup and in your system restore. Ad-aware and norton should take care of those.

#3 Nites2k

Nites2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:21 PM

thanks for the reply but i did excatly what you said but that didnt work. I was able to delete the file but i still cant bring up the taskmanager and the norton prompted me again if i should allow access to toolbar.exe even though i said always block

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:28 AM

Try this program as well:
A-squared complements anti-virus software by specializing in detecting Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. It is free for private use but registration is required.
Download it from here: A-squared

Dwonload, register it, then update it. Then do the scan (it takes a while). If there is no result or it runs into problems run it again in Safe Mode.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Nites2k

Nites2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:14 PM

nope didnt work

#6 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 02:12 AM

although antivirus programs are good for removing viruses they dont set the default file back to its purpose.

hav you botted and safe mode and tried to acces task manager?

sometimes viruses will delete the system file so after you remove it its unusable..in this case its best to fromat your harddrive.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 04:55 AM

nope didnt work

What, a-squared didn't work? Or you mean it didn't fix your problem? If it ran, what happened i.e. was there anything it fixed?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users