Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bios upgrading

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ankur Singh

Ankur Singh

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:29 AM

i have a 4mb phoenix bios
will updating it will be a good idea
what will it effect
will it increase my performance or effect my overclocking options
today my c2d e4500 can't go beyond 2.43ghz[221clock*11x multiplier-orignal200*11x]
i haven't changed my voltage
should i change my voltage to overclock it more
what voltage should should i use[i have a feature in my mobo namely cpu core voltage 7 shift or something like it

Edited by jgweed, 23 April 2009 - 08:42 AM.
Moved post to more appropriate forum.jgw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:02 PM

You should update your BIOS only if your computer is having issues. An improperly flashed BIOS could brick your motherboard. Typically, an update could add more supported processors or correct problems. Generally, it will not affect performance.

Edited by DJBPace07, 23 April 2009 - 04:41 PM.

3939.png

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:21 PM

On most C2D's you'll get about a 20% overclock without changing anything other then setting the front bus manually & disabling speedstep.

There is a little more to overclocking past where you are then simply upping the vcore.
The video card & memory get OC'd automatically when you increase the front bus unless you unlock them from the CPU & set them manually.

One OCing "trick" is to lower your multiplier & increase the fron't bus.
You don't gain any "top end" speed but the unit is much more responsive because of the higher front bus.
[It's still just going 0 to 60 but it's getting there faster.]

If you are interested in Overclocking there are a few web sites specifically for it.
Here's a couple,

http://www.overclockers.com/

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/

Edited by fairjoeblue, 23 April 2009 - 04:22 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 Ankur Singh

Ankur Singh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:32 AM

i have disabled my speedstep and don't have a unlocked multiplier
is there any software for it?
and my bios is not being able to be updated as the window is automatically
my another post
[topic="my another post:-"]http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=218793&st=30&gopid=1240485&#entry1240485[/topic]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users