Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the Best Free Anti-spyware?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Artic

Artic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:32 AM

What is the best "Free" Anti-spyware to use? I am thinking of installing "Super Anti-spyware" but don't know to install that or Lavasoft Anti-spyware. Been running "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" for a month and it has yet to find anything and put it in quartine.
Any and all help deeply appreciated,
God Bless,
Jenny

Edited by Pandy, 23 April 2009 - 02:46 AM.
Moved from HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:47 AM

SAS is a good free program, though it tends to use a lot of CPU. For that reason I would not recommend using its realtime protection. But its a good on-demand spyware scanner.
Note that Malwarebytes antimalware is a malware-scanner, not a spyware scanner. I definitely should keep that one too.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:08 AM

You could look as this review.
SAS and MBAM are the best on-demand scanners to complement an AV.

Note that Malwarebytes antimalware is a malware-scanner, not a spyware scanner. I definitely should keep that one too.

Um...is there a difference?

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:31 AM

Sorry, I am not allowed to explain the differences. However, I will ask someone too explain this to you.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:41 AM

Artic---Not finding any malware is good unless you are having problems that are likely caused by malware.

What if any problems are you experiencing?

Below is a link to instructions for installing and using MBAM and Super Antispyware. Be sure to update both before
each scan after downloading and installing.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1087935
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:14 AM

Malware
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware

Spyware
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyware
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:31 AM

SuperAntispyware is a top notch program and although the name can confuse a little, it protects against and removes much more than just spyware. I've been using the Pro version for a while now and it uses very little resources on my system, only 450k (on average) in task manager.

Detect and Remove Spyware, Adware, Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, HiJackers, Parasites, Rootkits, Rogue Security Products and many other types of threats.

http://www.superantispyware.com/

#8 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:31 PM

Malware is more of a blanket term to describe all malicious software (hence the name).
Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#9 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:43 AM

Malware is more of a blanket term to describe all malicious software (hence the name).

Yes, I know that. But what I mean is MBAM and SAS are meant to complement an AV, in other words what is normally called an anti-spyware/malware scanner. But that doesn't mean SAS just scans for spyware as RedDawn said.

Edited by Someones, 24 April 2009 - 07:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users