Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accessing info on a 2nd hard drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smithm7861

smithm7861

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:24 AM

Hello,

Recently, my gf's computer decided to stop working all together. It is an older eMachine T2898. She has had this computer for a good 5 years now. Her power supply or what I assumed to be power supply quit working last week. I ordered a replacement and it has come in. I put it all together and the machine doesn't work the mobo light comes on and so does the cpu fan, but it doesn't boot. I am temporarely taking it apart and assembling it piece by piece to determine the problem. In the meantime she has files she needs from her hard drive. They are located under her username which has a password. So, when I enter into her hard drive on my computer I can access the documents and settings folders, but when I get to her username it gives me an access denied error. However I can enter into the other usernames, but those have nothing on them that I need. Is there a way to boot her username onto my system to enter in her username password. I have the password to do this, but don't know how to boot it so I can enter it in. I have been able to somehow get passed the first protected folder which got me into a list of folders such as the my documents and desktop folders. The my documents folder is what I need access to and it will give me the same error. I got through the first folder by messing with the shared functions, but I can't do it for this folder.

So my real question is, can I somehow get a password prompt to come up to access the folder?

This is her hard drive model:

Seagate Model # ST380011A

My system and her's uses Windows XP Home.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:44 AM

I just did a search for a topic where is explained how to do it. I posted in one about a month ago. Too bad I cant find it anymore, however I recall it had something to do with right-clicking on the protected folder and change settings in the shared-tab or the security-tab. There it should give the possibility to gain access to the folder by entering the password and give access to the current user.

Note that it is illegal to try to hack unknown passwords and that a discussion about how to do that is not allowed on BC.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 smithm7861

smithm7861
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:18 AM

I tried doing that, but from what I understood it was for windows xp professional. Not sure on that one though, but I have tried to get the security tab to show in XP home and it doesn't work or at least I can't get it to work. I was just wondering if there is anyway to make her user account accesible on my computer. I just want to be able to login to her account on my computer so I can get her pictures and music. I do have the password and the username I just need a way to enter it.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:09 PM

If this is what you are talking about:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

It works for both XP Home and Pro
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 smithm7861

smithm7861
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

Garmanma thank you for that link. It worked perfectly, she will be happy I got her pictures and music back for her.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

Glad you got them back
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users