Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

boot error. mine wasn't listed in the sticky!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 darkangel91942

darkangel91942

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:18 AM

hi guys, i'm hoping for some help

1st i'm new to this forum, but not new to forums themselves. i'm a mod on several sites.
i checked the stickys and did a search with no luck.

here is my situation. i have a dell inspiron 2200 laptop. its about 4 years old. about 3 months ago i upgraded the hard drive for more space. i had a 60 GB hard drive with 1GB left. i put in a new 160Gb WD hard drive. i used acronis true image to make an exact copy of my old hard drive and have used it 3 months w/o a problem so i know its not a failed drive. i'm pretty computer saavy so i was trying to fix a dell desktop for a friend by doing a dell restore. he said he wanted it wiped clean. so i tried the ctrl F11 to get it to work. no luck. so i figured since i have a dell laptop i can try it on mine just to see if i can get one to start (figuring maybe my timing was off on his computer) when i hit CTRL F11 i got an error saying restore failed. it wouldn't even launch the restore. so i restarted my laptop and it says

loading PBR 3 ......... done
Bad PBR

and won't boot. not even in safe mode. i did a f12 for boot menu and ran a diagnostic. no errors found. all the info i find on this error everyone says bad drive, but since my drive is only 3 months old i doubt it. plus i have had no issues with it before this. i seen some sites say possible a bad mother board. so i went ahead an took out that drive and put back in my old 60GB hard drive and it booted right back up. no problem. so i don't think its any hardware. something happened when i attempted a dell restore on my new drive and it could have something to do with the fact its a cloned drive. IDK. but i can't get taht new drive to boot. does anyone have any ideas? i'm willing to be risky becuase i can always wipe the drive clean and re-copy my old one to it and all i'll have lost in the last 3 months is some emails in my outlook and some music. but i can hook up the drive and get that out 1st. i'd prefer to fix teh boot problem though. any thoughts?

thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

I think you somehow damaged your partition table
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?t=214307
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 darkangel91942

darkangel91942
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:49 PM

none of those sound like my issue. i'm going to try and repair the xp installation. i hope it fixes it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:52 AM

Worth reading, http://asupergeek.blogspot.com/2007/06/bad-pbr-sig.html

Louis

#5 darkangel91942

darkangel91942
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:29 PM

ok using windows repair console i did a fixboot and it gave me a bad mbr, so i did a fix mbr and now i'm getting a invalid partition table error. any thoughts?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

When I get partitiion table/NTFS file system issues...I just do a delete/create/install operation.

There ares some who believe there are "fixes" for such, but I've not experienced any of those suggestions working.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=d...mp;aq=f&oq=

Louis

#7 darkangel91942

darkangel91942
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:02 PM

yeah i wound up wiping it clean and cloning my old hard drive again, so i lost 3 months of stuff. just mostly music and movies. NBD really. just gonna take time to fix my itunes situation now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users