Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

flipping the board

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lodindri

lodindri

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:05 AM

today i was asked if i knew anything about flipping the board. i have no idea what that means. though they said they heard it from a police officer who was talking about an incedient about flipping some computer part and being able to break into access sites such as face book, myspace and so on. i even listen to cell phone conversations doing so. i dont know how much of it is true, but if anyone knows what it is or at least tell me how to prevent it from happening to me id very much like to know. they said that it doesnt take a genius to do it. and that it can bypass spyware and antivirus programs. as i said i at least want to know how to stop it from happening to me. id like to know how it works but not know how to do it. just so i can know what the hell they are doing. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:48 PM

Completely untrue. You have no need to be worried.

"Flipping" a board, or any computer component for that matter, would cause the computer not to function at all, or at least malfunction. They are not symmetrical things, these parts. Putting a video card or network card in backwards would likely fry the card in question, perhaps the motherboard too.

#3 meatwadsprite

meatwadsprite

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:00 PM

Yes.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:22 AM

To expand on what Amazing Andrew said,

Computer components are made so they will only fit 1 way & work .
The only part I know of that could be "flipped" & work is the hard drive & it would only be mounted upside down, not connected bacwards.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users