Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unlocker is NOT helping - ACCESS DENIED - Why????

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Spisak

Brian Spisak

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:25 PM

This is driving me insane. :trumpet:

First: I use unlocker. I HAVE to. That's how bad my problem is.

But, quite often, even unlocker fails to delete the file. Yes of course it will after a reboot, but the frequency of this happening is seriouly impacting my productivity.

My question is simple: What the :thumbsup: is going on and how the :flowers: do I fix it!?!? From a more professional standpoint: how do I debug this to get to the root cause?

I thought it might be my antivirus, so I dumped Norton and tried Avast. I tried disabling Avast. I am not using file sharing. I am not on a mounted volume. I have admin priviledges. I've had this problem forever: it's even survived through a complete reinstall of windows. (I'm using XP Pro SP3 on a NTFS volume.) Nothing on MSDN helped. Many hours of google searching has not helped.

The problem will often occur within seconds of me creating a file or folder. Doesn't seem to matter which. E.g., I create a folder, cd to it, maybe create a file, cd.., then decide to rename the folder. Perhaps 20% of the time, I won't be able to. Perhaps another 20% of the time I use unlocker, it can't help me.

Please help, or I'm soon to be :inlove:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I can tell you how such files are generated on my systems, which probably won't be helpful...but it's all I can do.

For some reason...when certain programs run, I am left off the permissions list. There is a permissions list generated for every file created on a system.

System is a default entry, Admin is normally a default entry. There are some situations where others are added to permissions (All Users, etc.) but Admin and System should be able to access just about everything.

When I run my backup program (making a backup of my boot partition only), I am not on the permissions list. When I try to move, rename, edit, delete those files...I cannot (initially).

But...I get around this minor inconvenience by installing the Security Tab on my XP Home systems...and I can then edit the permissions on any file quite easily, by going through Properties for that file.

How Do I See the Security tab in XP Home (Doug Knox) - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm

How To See the Security Tab in XP Home - http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/windo...-Tab-in-XP-Home

Louis

#3 Brian Spisak

Brian Spisak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:07 PM

Hi!

Thanks for the tip, but I've already tried this as part of my debug effort to date without any help. The security tab shows that I have all permissions.

Thanks anyway!
Brian

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

If you cannot delete it...you don't have permission to do so.

You did check the permissions tab for that file? The left hand column indicated that you had all permissions when you clicked on Admin?

Louis

#5 Brian Spisak

Brian Spisak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:42 PM

I do have permissions, but Windows tells me some other app has it locked. I use Unlocker to find the locking app, and it reports nothing has it locked. Most of the time, unlocker will delete it for me. A fair amount of time, unlocker cannot delete it.

Yes, the security tab tells me I have all permissions. I am an admin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users