Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory for Asus P5VD2-MX SE

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sund3r

sund3r

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:40 PM

Hi!

1. I just want to know what memory modules and brands are backward-compatible to my motherboard. It is so hard to find DDR2-533 PC4200 nowadays in my place. I visit Crucial website and recommended me pairs of 1GB DDR2-667 and 800. Please provide me some other options.

2. Somebody told me that my motherboard is capable of a dual channel setting. Would it be okay to use that mode even if I install a memory module that is higher than a DDR2-533 PC4200?

Many Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:46 AM

What motherboard/CPU do you have? Where are you located?

To use the dual channel setting you need to have a matched pair of DDR2 RAM.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

To use the dual channel setting you need to have a matched pair of DDR2 RAM.

Not really, but it doesn't hurt.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Dev Mgr

Dev Mgr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:34 AM

Why are you looking for other options? 800 or faster memory will just run the lower speed. Also, 800MHz memory will likely be cheaper than 533 as the latter isn't being made anymore, so it's old memory from a time when memory was more expensive.

Also, looking at Crucial's site, 1GB is US$16 and 2GB is US$32. So memory is pretty cheap.

#5 sund3r

sund3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for the answers guys.

Do I need to worry about the voltage? ECC and Non-ECC thing? Single Sided and Double Sided Modules? Do I need to be bothered with that?

By the way, how does it look like in CPU-Z if a system is using Dual Chanel Configuration?

What motherboard/CPU do you have? Where are you located?

My mobo is Asus P5VD2-MX SE.

I am from the Philippines, in a rural area in the Philippines.

Why are you looking for other options? 800 or faster memory will just run the lower speed. Also, 800MHz memory will likely be cheaper than 533 as the latter isn't being made anymore, so it's old memory from a time when memory was more expensive.

Also, looking at Crucial's site, 1GB is US$16 and 2GB is US$32. So memory is pretty cheap.

I mean, options other than Crucial. Are there other brands that are not backward-compatible?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users