Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card, motherboard, or problems with both

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ferguson0

ferguson0

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:21 PM

I have a three year old computer from Cyberpower Inc. that has been having massive visualization issues for about 2 years (should have been fixed long ago, but have been distracted by other things). The system seemed to have run smooth for the first year, but at some point it began to show off colors. After a period of time random alphanumeric characters started popping up in random places (especially during reboot after prolonged use) and a permanent dull, pinkish cast appeared over everything in the XP pro environment. I have subsequently:

ran a handful of antivirus programs on the system
reformated the harddrive
cleared the cmos
installed two new (but same model) video cards while still under warranty
installed mandrake distro (some lessening of problem for a bit of time, but boot still bad)
reformatted hardrive, wrote 1 and 0's over the whole thing, and reinstalled XP pro.

And I am still getting the same mess. Here are all the specs that I can remember about the system:

Abit KD7-Raid mobo
Albatron Geforce4 64mb agp8x video card (might be 128, can't remember)
286MB DDR400 Corsair XMS RAM
Turbolink 420W ATX power supply
Maxtor 80GB ATA133 DiamondMAX Plus HDrive
Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 sound
basic cd-rom, cd-r drive and floppy
two extra case fans, round cables, ok this should't be that useful so I'll stop.

Do I need to replace the mobo, do I have an incompatable video card, do I need to update my bios again or revert to some old one, any thoughts are welcomed and appreciated?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:57 PM

Dear ferguson,

What type of monitor do you have?

At this time it could be a lot of things.

As always, connections are always important. I would double check them. I have never seen a pink hue on screen before but all kind of things could happen.

Also, I recommend System Mechanic 5.0 from Islo. They have a full trial version for download. It is a utility program that really works. Run the preventive maintenance section and see. It will take some time and needs to cooled. Meaning, have the air-conditioning on or put a box fan next to your computer.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 goldenc08

goldenc08

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:11 PM

sounds like the video card to me acsept the pink that sounds like magnets may have come close to the screen

#4 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:21 PM

when the screen starts taking on a hue that can't be corrected it's inevitably the monitor itself in my experience. Esp. pink/purple. Do you have another computer and/or monitor you can quickly swap out and confirm?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users