Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Napalm718

Napalm718

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

ok, havent got help with my first problem, hopefully this one will be easier..i cleane4d my hard drive..now when i turn comp back on it says diskette drive 0 seek failure. it wonty allow me to do the f8 thing or any other options..it onlys say f1 to reboot and f12 to setup,,f1 doesnt do anything and f12, i dont have the slighteset idea what that is..i need help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:22 PM

First, is your computer a Dell?

It sounds like bios is set up to have a floppy drive as the first boot device.
You need to boot into bios, and change the boot order.
Reboot, and choose f12.
You will need to find the screen for changing the boot order.
Since there are different bios utilities, I can't tell you where it would be located in your
bios. Use the up/down arrow keys to navigate bios, hit enter to get to that section.
Look for something that says boot order.
You can make your cd drive or your hard drive the first boot device.
After making the change, you should see something that tells you which key to use to exit and save the change.
When asked, hit y to save it, hit enter.
Your system should reboot.
Let us know if this works.
It sounds complicated, and if you've never done it before it can be intimidating.
But it's something that needs to be done.
If cd or hard drive is already set as the first boot device, hit esc. You can exit, and if asked if you want to save anything, use the n key.

edit to add: if you want someone to guide you through the set up process, write down the name of the set up utility.
A person familiar with it can give you step by step instructions.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 April 2009 - 06:24 PM.

#3 Napalm718

Napalm718
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:33 PM

yes it's a dell...i went to the part you said and seen what you were talkin about but it didnt give me the option to change it...it was checked and couldnt be uncheck..

when i reset comp it says this...

Phoenix ram bios plus version 1.10- a03
copyright 1985-1988 phoenix tech. ltd
copyright 1990-2003 dell ...

Dell system dimension 8300 series
bios version a03

diskette drive 0 seek failure

strike f1 to retry and f12 to setup utility

and it does nothing else after that..it was working fine until i did that wipe crap lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users