Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexpected restarts (Bad RAM?)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SiberianKitsune

SiberianKitsune

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

Hi everyone,

I guess it is time to stop lurking and make my first post.

So, here is the build I am having problems with:

* Antec Nine Hundred - Advanced Gaming Case
* Corsair 750Watt PSU
* ASUS P5Q
* Intel® Core™2 Duo E8400 Dual Core 2x3GHz 6MB cache
* Coolermaster Hyper TX2 Fan
* Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz
* 500GB 7200RPM SATA II
* 500GB 7200RPM SATA II
* Samsung SH-S223 22x DVD RW Black SATA
* nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB
* Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Home

It was a custom order, assembled at PowerC. Pretty much what I imagined an ideal PC would be, built to be reliable and to take a few upgrades for next years.

I had no complaints whatsoever, until few days ago.

1) A few days ago, it suddenly restarted. And restarted again. And again, until I switched it off. After that, a message popped up that "BIOS is corrupted, attempting a restore". Two minutes later, it booted up with no problems whatsoever.
2) Yesterday I heard what seemed to be hard drive's click of death. A quiet clicking noise from the front about every 15 seconds. I blamed it on dusty front fan...
3) Today, as I was about to switch it off, it switched off by itself. This of course got me interested, I powered it up again...and I'm stuck now with something I cannot handle.

Safe mode and Last Known Configuration either lock up on one of the files, or restart the PC. XP installation disc also locks up when

Hitachi drive fitness test indicates no problem with hard drives - in both Quick and Advanced tests.

Ubuntu Linux CD doesn't reach the menu stage and restarts the PC.

Memtest passes test 0 and 1, but restarts at test 2. I have no idea on how to use Memtest properly, but I tried to run tests in different areas of memory. A 58 MB piece near the upper limit have passed all the tests...but anything larger than that turns up the "unexpected halt" message.
Is it safe to presume that RAM is the root of a problem, not faulty mobo/HDD/power supply?

So, in case there is something wrong with warranty and it is void, what is the cause of the fault?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:17 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

Try each stick of ram individually by running memtest. Try them in different slots too.

Also, try resetting the cmos by unplugging the computer, taking out the quarter-sized battery for a few minutes, then putting the battery back in and starting up the computer.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users