Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Info on Skype..

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jimnor46

jimnor46

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:19 PM

Anyone know anything about the Skype technology? I see that it uses P2P tech., which I'm a little leery of but it sounds like it might be something worth looking into.

Anyone ever used it or have any info about it?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:06 AM

I use Skype, I talk to my brother in Kansas, he uses it to talk to his daughters in Calif. and Texas. I've had it for years with no problems. The biggest problem is getting other people to use it, I hear over in Europe it's used a lot more than here.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

Yeah, I figured the hard part would be getting other people to use it. It sounds pretty good to me. Was the set-up difficult? I'm gonna look at it a little closer, might even try it out.

Thanks for the response Wildabeast

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:37 PM

Hello.

I also use Skype to talk to family members and other relatives across the world. The setup is not difficult at all. Just like any simple program all you need to do is download it, run it and then you're done. The interface is pretty much very self explanatory. In a way it's similar to MSN or Windows Live Messenger.

Here's a tutorial on Skype if needed: http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=41492

In order to use it (in terms of calling someone) however, you will need the same "contact/person" to be online at the same time. Once you install it you will pretty much understand how it works.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,900 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:01 PM

I have had Skype since it became available stateside.
For $3 a month I can make calls to any phone number anywhere in the U.S. and Canada.
For $2 more you get a phone number so others can call you.

The only problem, if you can call it that, was last Xmas when there was noise and one dropped call. Busy, busy.

Be sure to set a strong password and user name.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:24 AM

Hey, Extremeboy and buddy215, thanks for the replies. This definitely sounds like something that I will look into.

One question, is there a directory or "phone book" of Skype users? Just curious..

Thanks

Edited by jimnor46, 25 April 2009 - 11:29 AM.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,900 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

There is a business directory that I think businesses have opt into.
If their is any kind of personal phone directory, I am unaware of it.

If you think about it, it is not a good idea to ever post your personal phone
number in any site or listing on the internet. Too many kooks and spammers.

Did you know that you don't need a computer to use Skype at home? As long as you have
a high speed access you can purchase equipment to hook directly into your wall outlet, router or modem.

Their are numerous options in Skype.

This is beginning to sound too much like a promo.....

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

I wasn't aware that a computer wasn't needed for Skype. That's good to know.

I'll check into it.

Thanks again Buddy215, I appreciate the info.

#9 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:48 AM

Hi jimnor.

Did you have a crack at Skype?

There are seldom less than 5 million users online, and right at this moment there are 14,794,666 users online from every corner of the world so I don't think there is any doubt about its popularity and usefullness. I limit my contacts so as not to get snowed under but am helping a lady in China improve her English, and talking to friends and family here in town and anywhere else. Best of all, it doesn't cost a cent.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#10 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

Hey rowal5555, haven't had a chance to get it yet. Can't find anyone in my family/circle of friends that is interested in trying it. Bunch of losers.
Oh well, may just get it set up on my on and see if I can find someone else that is interested or else buy another computer and just talk to myself. Sometimes talking with myself is some of the best conversations that I have.

Have a good day.

Thanks for the responses.

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:19 AM

LOL.

It only takes a few minutes to set up, and the search engine is pretty good.
If it comes to the worst you can always say HI to me :flowers:
I am visuallising you sitting there with two headsets on having a real good argument :thumbsup:

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#12 hulander

hulander

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:10 AM

According to me Skype is the best online messenger for making calls from computer anywhere in the world..Posted Image
Technology Lover...Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users