Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus or malware... can't run virus software to check

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 eerygurl

eerygurl

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:54 PM

Hi,

I want to start of by thanking you up front for any help you have to offer. A few years back, a friend had some serious problems with his computer and you guys totally got him fixed up. Sadly, now it's my turn.

I had been running AVG (free version) up until the problems started. First thing I noticed was that most of my icons in my system tray went missing and they never load. Only my wireless network icon is there. Then I noticed small things changing with my desktop settings... font, background image. Nothing serious, but annoyances. I tried to update AVG, it won't update. Ran it anyway, it found nothing. Uninstalled it, downloaded the lastest free version and it still won't update. Can't even go to McAfee's site. Can go to Symantec's, when when I download their free trial version, it installs, but immediately shows that the 30 days are up. My wireless connection seems to bog down after a while, so I reboot and then it's good for a while. I get occasional messages saying "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.".

Running Windows XP Pro, SP3.

Let me know if there is additional information that is useful.

Thanks!
Pam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.36) and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
If you have a previous version of MBAM, remove it via Add/Remove Programs and download a fresh copy.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/114351/how-to-temporarily-disable-your-anti-virus-firewall-and-anti-malware-programs/
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 eerygurl

eerygurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:37 PM

Hi Chewy,

Here are my results from your instructions.

ATF Cleaner - downloaded and ran fine. Even though I do not currently have Firefox installed, I did in the past, so ran the Firefox option to be sure.

Anit-Malware - downloaded fine. When it tried to update, got the following error:
"Update failed. Make sure you are connected to the Internet and your firewall is set to allow Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to access the internet."

Followed your instructions to update it using mbam-rules.exe and I assume that worked. When AnitMalware launched, it showed the following:
Date: 4/20/2009
Database version: 2015
Fingerprints loaded: 77483

Here are the results of the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 2015
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

4/22/2009 2:16:10 PM
mbam-log-2009-04-22 (14-16-10).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 92656
Time elapsed: 10 minute(s), 7 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 3
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{9522b3fb-7a2b-4646-8af6-36e7f593073c} (Adware.Coupons) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{1d4db7d2-6ec9-47a3-bd87-1e41684e07bb} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{8fcdf9d9-a28b-480f-8c3d-581f119a8ab8} (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

Please download and run Processexplorer

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

Under file and save as, create a log and post here

copy and paste into a reply
Chewy

#5 eerygurl

eerygurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

Here you go:

Process PID CPU Description Company Name
System Idle Process 0 96.04
Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts
DPCs n/a Deferred Procedure Calls
System 4
smss.exe 776 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation
csrss.exe 836 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation
winlogon.exe 860 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation
services.exe 908 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1084 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1208 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1380 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
wscntfy.exe 2516 Windows Security Center Notification App Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1620 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1724 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
aawservice.exe 1900 Ad-Aware 2007 Service Lavasoft AB
spoolsv.exe 1984 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 208 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
AppleMobileDeviceService.exe 440 Apple Mobile Device Service Apple Inc.
AluSchedulerSvc.exe 460 Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler Service Symantec Corporation
mDNSResponder.exe 492 Bonjour Service Apple Inc.
DVDRAMSV.exe 520 DVD-RAM Utility Helper Service Matsubleepa Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
svchost.exe 644 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
jqs.exe 672 Java™ Quick Starter Service Sun Microsystems, Inc.
QBCFMonitorService.exe 752 QuickBooks Company File Monitoring Service Intuit
RichVideo.exe 1604 RichVideo Module
SMAgent.exe 1656 SoundMAX service agent component Analog Devices, Inc.
svchost.exe 1696 0.99 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
ViewpointService.exe 1844 ViewMgr Viewpoint Corporation
ViewMgr.exe 2508 ViewMgr Viewpoint Corporation
wmpnetwk.exe 320 Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service Microsoft Corporation
alg.exe 388 Application Layer Gateway Service Microsoft Corporation
lsass.exe 920 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation
explorer.exe 3104 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation
iexplore.exe 732 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation
ctfmon.exe 3268 CTF Loader Microsoft Corporation
procexp.exe 1392 0.99 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

Before we start fixing anything you should print out these instructions or copy them to a NotePad file so they will be accessible. Some steps will require you to disconnect from the Internet or use Safe Mode and you will not have access to this page.

Please download DrWeb-CureIt and save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on launch.exe to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current version
  • Read the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.
  • The Express scan will automatically begin.
    (This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).
  • If prompted to dowload the Full version Free Trial, ignore and click the X to close the window.
  • If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All.
  • When complete, click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
    (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)
  • Now put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
  • In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and UNcheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Ok.
  • Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.
  • When the scan is complete, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
  • Click "Yes to all" if asked to cure or move the file(s) and select "Move incurable".
  • In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)

Chewy

#7 eerygurl

eerygurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:08 AM

Here are the results of the Dr.Web run:

RegUBP2b-Pamela King.reg;C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots2;Trojan.StartPage.1505;Deleted.;
Charger.exe;C:\Program Files\Mobile Action\Motorola i670 USB - Handset Manager V9.5;BackDoor.LMR.30;Deleted.;
USBi670_V95.exe/Moto_i670_USB_V95.cab\Charger.exe;F:\temp\USBi670_V95.exe/Moto_i670_USB_V95.cab;BackDoor.LMR.30;;
Moto_i670_USB_V95.cab;F:\temp;Archive contains infected objects;;
USBi670_V95.exe;F:\temp;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:54 AM

Please download gmer.zip and save to your desktop.
  • Extract (unzip) the file to its own folder such as C:\Gmer. (Click here for information on how to do this if not sure.)
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security program drivers will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled.
  • Double-click on gmer.exe to start the program.
  • Allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • You may be prompted to scan immediately if GMER detects rootkit activity.
  • If you are prompted to scan your system click "Yes" to begin the scan.
  • If not prompted, click the "Rootkit/Malware" tab.
  • On the right-side, all items to be scanned should be checked by default except for "Show All". Leave that box unchecked.
  • Select all drives that are connected to your system to be scanned.
  • Click the Scan button to begin. (Please be patient as it can take some time to complete)
  • When the scan is finished, click Save to save the scan results to your Desktop.
  • Save the file as gmer.log and copy/paste the contents in your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.

Chewy

#9 eerygurl

eerygurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:21 PM

OK, I can run the scan, but at the point that it appears to be finished, no matter what I try to do on my computer, I get the following message:

Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

So, I am not able to save the log file. I do have my hard drive partitioned into a C: and an F: Should I try to run 2 separate scans on the 2 drives?

Thanks,
Pam

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:09 PM

aawservice.exe 1900 Ad-Aware 2007 Service Lavasoft AB
AppleMobileDeviceService.exe 440 Apple Mobile Device Service Apple Inc.
AluSchedulerSvc.exe 460 Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler Service Symantec Corporation
mDNSResponder.exe 492 Bonjour Service Apple Inc.
DVDRAMSV.exe 520 DVD-RAM Utility Helper Service Matsubleepa Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
jqs.exe 672 Java™ Quick Starter Service Sun Microsystems, Inc.
QBCFMonitorService.exe 752 QuickBooks Company File Monitoring Service Intuit
RichVideo.exe 1604 RichVideo Module
ViewpointService.exe 1844 ViewMgr Viewpoint Corporation
ViewMgr.exe 2508 ViewMgr Viewpoint Corporation
wmpnetwk.exe 320 Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service Microsoft Corporation
iexplore.exe 732 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation
ctfmon.exe 3268 CTF Loader Microsoft Corporation

Try running gmer in parts, say 2 or 3 modules at a time after using task manager or process explorer to unload these processes

A reboot will reload them at startup
Chewy

#11 eerygurl

eerygurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:40 AM

Killed those processes, ran scan of C drive then scan of F drive.

Log from C drive:

GMER 1.0.15.14966 - http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2009-04-24 02:48:10

---- Devices - GMER 1.0.15 ----

AttachedDevice \Driver\Kbdclass \Device\KeyboardClass0 SynTP.sys (Synaptics Touchpad Driver/Synaptics, Inc.)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Kbdclass \Device\KeyboardClass1 SynTP.sys (Synaptics Touchpad Driver/Synaptics, Inc.)

---- EOF - GMER 1.0.15 ----

Log from F drive:

GMER 1.0.15.14966 - http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2009-04-24 03:29:00

---- Devices - GMER 1.0.15 ----

AttachedDevice \Driver\Kbdclass \Device\KeyboardClass0 SynTP.sys (Synaptics Touchpad Driver/Synaptics, Inc.)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Kbdclass \Device\KeyboardClass1 SynTP.sys (Synaptics Touchpad Driver/Synaptics, Inc.)

---- EOF - GMER 1.0.15 ----

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users