Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotmail Account Virus Spamming My Address List

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Acererak II

Acererak II

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:21 PM

As the title says, my Hotmail account is spamming those in my address book with a particular email. I am also receiving daily dozens of failed deliveries to other unknown addresses. My anitvirus software is Symantec and is up to date.

I've looked around and believe it may be Goshopex or a variant.

From the times and dates of the undelivered email, the account is sending spam when I am off line too. So I believe the account is being spoofed elsewhere.

Here is the spam. I cannot find it online as a tip off for the virus:

===================================================
Lucky:
We are liusy, an electronic products wholesale company. We provide
phones, PSP, display TV, notebook, video, computers, Mp4, GPS, Xbox 360,
digital cameras, and other related products to people worldwide.

Our products are high in quality and low in price. We can offer you deep
discounts that will substantially increase your profits.

website: www.buy2chinese.com E-mail : service@buy2chinese.com MSN: service@buy2chinese.com
===================================================

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

If the spam is being sent while you're not even offline, then it's possible that either your e-mail address is being spoofed or that your account has been compromised. I suggest that you change your hotmail password immediately. If that doesn't stop the spam, then contact hotmail support to report the problem.

#3 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

isnt he simply infected, and therefor wouldnt his whole pc be scanned, as most virusses wont simply concentrate on hotmail?

Every one goes fun fun fun

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#4 Acererak II

Acererak II
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

isnt he simply infected, and therefor wouldnt his whole pc be scanned, as most virusses wont simply concentrate on hotmail?

I'm not sure. None of my other email accounts are experiencing problems. And I check the account from at least two computers routinely.

I'll change the password, but I'm not sure that will completely solve the problem. Is there a means to determine whether or not this on on Hotmail's end?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users