Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio device not recognised/DirectSound error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gediminas

Gediminas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

Hello, I didn't want to create a thread of my own for a problem so widely disputed in the internet, but now I am left with no other choise, because I have simply tried everything else and still - no sound.

It all started about a week ago - I bought a new 7600GT graphic card and had some problems with it, while I find soutable drivers. Finnaly, I fix it, but then - no sound. Anywhere.

Simply, when I go to the control panel/sounds and audio devices, it says - no sound device and everything is grayed out.

In Winamp, I get this error:

Nullsoft DirectSound Outpt v2.49 (d) error

Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration. Error code: 88780078

I tried:

-the thing with services.msc thing, with the Windows audio tweaking
-all kinds of drivers
-looking for solution in BIOS
-reinstalling Windows XP SP 3
-many other things, that I found on the internet, but now don't remember

I have a Asrock Prescott 800 P4i65G motherboard, with integrated Cmedia 9761A 5.1 channel audio CODEC sound device, I think (I'm not sure, what is integrated into this model)

I am really tired and just want to have my sound back, but I wouldn't want to buy a sound card, without knowing if the problem isn't somewhere else.

Please, save my last nerve :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

Have you tried this already?

Check the Device Manager to see if there is corrupted driver or missing Codecs (given by the presence of ! or ?) under Sound, video and game controller.

Then Sound and Audio Devices in the Control Panel could be checked to see if under Audio tab the right Default device is selected. Also in the same location under Voice tab there is a Test Hardware ... button the user can use to test the hardware.

Under Audio tab, Sound playback section, under Default device at least one of the installed Codecs should be listed. In case the user has anything other than the Windows Audio Codecs the third party Codecs should be listed there. Otherwise the third party Codecs (like Creative SoundBlaster) should be installed or if already listed should be selected. Also there is an option at the bottom of the Audio tab "Use only default devices " that should be unchecked.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Gediminas

Gediminas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

Have you tried this already?

Check the Device Manager to see if there is corrupted driver or missing Codecs (given by the presence of ! or ?) under Sound, video and game controller.

Then Sound and Audio Devices in the Control Panel could be checked to see if under Audio tab the right Default device is selected. Also in the same location under Voice tab there is a Test Hardware ... button the user can use to test the hardware.

Under Audio tab, Sound playback section, under Default device at least one of the installed Codecs should be listed. In case the user has anything other than the Windows Audio Codecs the third party Codecs should be listed there. Otherwise the third party Codecs (like Creative SoundBlaster) should be installed or if already listed should be selected. Also there is an option at the bottom of the Audio tab "Use only default devices " that should be unchecked.

Yes I tried it, device manager does not even recognise the device, and there are no "!" or anything. In the sounds and audio devices, it says "no audio device", and there are no possibilities of changing anything - everything is grayed out, thus neither in the main audio tab, neither in the playback one I can't select anything.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:14 PM

I can only suggest what you have already tried
At least sound cards are not that expensive
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 ScottC0510

ScottC0510

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:03 AM

Have you tried running the "add new hardware" wizard in Control Panel? It could be that some changes have occurred that cause your computer to not recognize your "audio device." It should scan for any hardware changes and guide you through a "re-install" if it is missing. Try that and let me know what happens...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users