Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-install of Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kid_Icarus1217

Kid_Icarus1217

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:44 PM

I recently posted a question in the Internet Browser sections titled "Fake yahoo.com zip file attachment messed up Explorer!" I am afraid that there may be no solution short of re-installing Windows XP (Pro), since none of the files mentioned in the Mytob virus descriptions can be found, and I am pretty sure that the virus is now gone, but left behind some commands that keep me from logging in to email boxes and other sites on the net with the message that I have to enable cookies, but whatever bug is in the computer does not allow the cookies to be changedfor internet explorer. I tried deleting explorer and re-installing, but get the same message for it that I do for trying to repair
Windows XP - that a newer version has been detected (even though I deleted all the Explorer files I could find) and installation cannot proceed.

The computer I have had the XP Pro operating system already installed and all I have is a non-originalo CD with Windows XP Pro. I tried to install it once before on an ill computer that I reformattted, but, even with the 5 floppy disc setup files, I was unable to do so because the computer would not recognize the CD drive. How do I make sure that does not happen again? Better still, is there a way to simply reinstall explorerand try to repair Windows XP? Or, heaven forbid, actually getting rid of the bogus commands (I have looked everywhere and cannot spot them). I do seem to be missing the wininet.exe file, if that helps. And when I restart my computer, I get a message below my login icon that says I have 56 unread emails, which is not the case!

This all seems so hopeless! I have a net business and cannot read nor answer emails to my website mail boxes. I can get into my yahoo mail using Firefox, but cannot use html messages AND when I try to send an email to my account support folks at my hosting company, it appears to send but does not reach them (sounds like Mytob, huh?). When I try to enter my website mailboxes it either says that I have supplied incorrect information or that my login time timed out.

Thanks for any help that can get me through or around this problem!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kid_Icarus1217

Kid_Icarus1217
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:11 PM

It keeps getting more interesting. First of all, I figured "what an idiot"and went to my Norton antii-virus logs and surely enough, there was a record of the virus MytobEB@mm being removed on June 17th. In the virus descriptions, it first showed up the day I began having troubles too. Even though I could find none of the added files or commands, I was cheered to see that Norton/Symantc had a specific Mytob virus removal tool. I followed the intructions, turned off system restore, downloaded and ran the tool. It came back with the message Mytob virus not found, but did evidently change or delete some files, because I got messages to that effect when I re-booted (file not found). Sounds good, BUT still the same problems - can't login to emails, etc.

arrrrrrrrgggghhhh!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users