Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

suggestions for Vista compat firewall/antivirus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

I have a Vista home premium laptop that needs compatible firewall and anti-virus that work together. I presently have zone alarm free and avast free which i want to uninstall.

Avast because it is making my internet hang after a while due to the web shield. I wanted to replace this with Avira but i dont think this is compatible with Zone Alarm.

I need them to be free products, and will work compliment each other, both on vista

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:02 AM

Security Tools that run on Vista:Firewalls for Vista:Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone.

Most of the same considerations apply when choosing a firewall.

Edited by quietman7, 22 April 2009 - 10:03 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for that.

Would you happen to know which Anti virus (apart from Avast) works with Zone Alarm free?

According to various sites ive visited, the ones I want to put on (Avira, AVG free) all have compatibility issues with zone alarm.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

I don't use Vista so I couldn't say. However, if you want something besides avast and you are reading about conflicts with ZA, then I'd say choose another firewall. Again, a particular firewall that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users