Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rbeck2626

rbeck2626

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:27 AM

Everytime I boot up my computer, I get this error at some point...mostly when I try to update my Norton or my Malaware. I have run scans and looked to see if there were infection and I keep getting nothing. After I got Norton (I previously had AVG), now when I try to update it says Symatec has to close. I updated my malaware manually yesterday and my taskbar changed colors from blue to gray. When I scanned with Malaware I still found nothing.
I have searched the internet high and low and do not know how to fix this problem. It reminds me of when I had the Vundo Virus and it shut off automatic updates....everything seems to be running fine, otherwise. I tried to download patches and updates from microsoft and it let me, but when I tried to do an online scan for viruses since my version needs the new updates it will not let me use the active x control to scan it.
This is why I would wonder if it is some kind of hidden virus that is not showing up, or my software is not updated enough to catch it.

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

and here are the files:

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9989.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9989.dir00\appcompat.txt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:47 AM

If you do a Google search for Generic Host Process for Win32 Error, you will find this error is a common complaint by many users with no single solution. What works for one person may not work for another.

svchost.exe.mdmp is a mini dump used to send error reporting to Microsoft.
appcompat.txt is a reporting file with information used when uploading error reports to Microsoft when you get the message "report this error to Microsoft?"

Svchost.exe is the filename for Generic Host Process for Win32 Services. It is a process name for a group of services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). This is a process that can run other services underneath itself so it may not be svchost.exe that's the issue, but rather one of the processes running underneath it. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. It is not unusual for multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time in Task Manager in order to optimize the running of the various services.

There are several ways to investigate and see what services a Svchost.exe process is controlling, see:Note: Process Explorer shows two panes by default: the upper pane is always a process list and the bottom pane either shows the list of DLLs loaded into the process selected in the upper pane, or the list of operating system resource handles (files, Registry keys, synchronization objects) the process has open. In the menu at the top select View > Lower Pane View to change between DLLs and Handles.

To investigate all running processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems, you can also download and use:These tools will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location. If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you will see more details about the file.

Articles by Microsoft:The error could also be related to drivers for Hewlett-Packard printers and scanners. See here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 SyMoX

SyMoX

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread52681.html

Try out this link, you may get a solution...

Else you may be infected my the Nachi/Blaster worm also known as W32/Nachi.worm (Network Associates), Lovsan.D (F-Secure), WORM_MSBLAST.D (Trend Micro), and W32.Welchia.Worm (Symantec)...

Download Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool to remove the infection...

Make Sure You turn off 'System Restore' while scanning ...

1. Click Start.
2. Right-click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties.
3. Click the System Restore tab.
4. Check "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives" as shown in this illustration:
5. Click Apply.
6. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted. Click Yes to do this.
7. Click OK.
8. Proceed with what you need to do; for example, virus removal. When you have finished, restart the computer and follow the instructions in the next section to turn on System Restore.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:23 PM

The error may or may not be malware related. That's why it requires further investigation.

Disabling System Restore as the first step when attempting to clean a system or when scanning for malware is not advisable. Unfortunately, some anti-virus vendors still recommend doing this before attempting malware removal and many folks follow that advice. This is really not a good practice when dealing with infected computer systems. Turning System Restore off and then turning it back on has some risk associated with it since that feature does not always work as intended. Further, there is always a possibility of something going wrong during the malware removal process and you end up with more problems. If an incident renders your system problematic or unbootable, you can use System Restore to return it to a previous working state. Without a restore point to fall back on, you are left with a limited means of restoring your system to a usable condition. Disabling this feature could mean having to perform a repair install (or reformat in worst case scenarios) if you're unable to fix any problems which System Restore may be able to correct. Although System Restore is not always 100% guaranteed to work all the time, it at least gives you another option before resorting to more drastic measures.Once the system is clean, you can Create a New Restore Point and use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the newly created Restore Point to prevent accidental reinfection.

#5 rbeck2626

rbeck2626
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:49 PM

I tried doing some of the suggestions from above. I did run the antivirus software while in safe mode, I did not turn system restore off. I still have not found a fix from this problem. I ran the software mentioned to see svc hosts but have not idea what I am looking for. It is a little too complex for me. I find it odd that I can do other stuff on the internet but cannot update the Norton files or my Antimalaware. I don't know if maybe a previous virus may have damaged something or what. Other people that have had this problem reinstalled their OS and the problem was still happening. I have a Canon Pixma printer, so I don't think this is a problem. I have gone to Microsoft website and their fixes have not worked for me. This problem just started yesterday and is annoying as heck. It makes me feel unsafe while using the internet. I read somewhere that people have resolved this issue with closing ports, I don't want to mess it up worse and I can't get regedit to work anyways.

Here is another error report that came up:

szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.5512 szModName : unknown
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 10001e41

Symantec Service Framework

szAppName : ccSvcHst.exe szAppVer : 108.1.0.24 szModName : unknown
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 10031e41

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

ccsvchst.exe is a process related to Symantec Service Framework.

Have you tried using System Restore or System Restore from a command prompt in Safe Mode to return to a previous state before your problems began?

#7 rbeck2626

rbeck2626
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:35 PM

ccsvchst.exe is a process related to Symantec Service Framework.

Have you tried using System Restore or System Restore from a command prompt in Safe Mode to return to a previous state before your problems began?

I figured out how to manually update my Norton. I am scanning the computer now, I am going to try system restore as soon as I am done with that! Thank you so much for helping.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

Not a problem. If that doesn't resolve the issue, there are more security tools we can use to investigate.

#9 rbeck2626

rbeck2626
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:02 PM

Not a problem. If that doesn't resolve the issue, there are more security tools we can use to investigate.

:thumbsup: YEAH! I finally fixed the problem. I backed up all my pics and personal stuff on the computer and did a system restore. This fixed the problem!! I don't know what the problem was but it is scary to have to do a restore. I reinstalled my Norton and Malaware and am up and running! THANK YOU!!

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:35 AM

You're welcome.

Now you should Create a New Restore Point to enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state from today.

#11 rbeck2626

rbeck2626
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:19 PM

You're welcome.

Now you should Create a New Restore Point to enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state from today.

:thumbsup: THANKS! I did not think to do that. I had an older restore point on the last and wished I had a newer one.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:38 PM

You're welcome.

#13 lpstroker

lpstroker

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:22 PM

Sorry to hijack this old thread, but I am having the same problem. I have tried the things mentioned above and nothing has worked. I ran Malwarebytes and found two things and got rid of them, and my anti virus system found nothing. I tried to do a system restore but it says it cant restore and when I try to go to the microsoft update site the page wont load. I'm lost. Thanks in advance.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:28 PM

Hello lpstroker

If you have an issue or problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic. Doing that will help to avoid the confusion that often occurs when trying to help two or more members at the same time in the same thread. Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be different based on the kind of hardware, software, system requirements, etc. you are using and the presence of other malware. Further, posting for assistance in someone else's topic is not considered proper forum etiquette.

Thanks for your cooperation.
The BC Staff

#15 lpstroker

lpstroker

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •