Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get rid of a download that tries to install on startup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Raner

Raner

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:38 AM

Hey all:
I have a microsoft download that keeps trying to install and I have on idea where it came from some sort of mouse feature from micorsoft.I am not at the computer at this time.But I'll try to explain what is happening as best posible.
I am getting the warning popup that the download is not certified for windows,so I canceled it but everytime I start my computer is shows up and it's the same message,I am also getting the new hardware found message but I have not installed any new hardware on my pc lately.Well I tryed installing the download so I would not see the darn message anymore but then I get the the popup asking me to type in where I want the download installed and guess what I have no Idea what to type in because there is no hardware to install it to.I hope someone can make sence of what is happening,and if not I can supply any information needed to get rid of this annoying problem. Thanks Raner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James K

James K

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:46 AM

Hi Raner,

I presume you are using windows xp so i will give a troubleshooting step for XP. if you head over to the start menu > run > type MSCONFIG and press ok. You will be presented with the system configuration utility. Click on the tab called 'Startup' This screen lists all the applications which start when your computer boots. I would advise you to go through the list and untick the relevent option for this microsoft download.
Once your finished his apply and then ok reboot your machine and test. You will see a diaglogue box saying you have used the system configuration utility tick the box and hit ok.

if you need any more help let me know (or if you have a older version of windows than xp, vista is the same method as above.)
Hope this helps,

James

#3 Raner

Raner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the information James and yes it is windows xp pro.
I will get on it as soon as I get home from work and get rid of that annoying download,thanks again Raner

#4 Raner

Raner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:52 AM

Well James I tryed out what you told me to do,but the download is still trying to load.
Took some snapshots maybe this will help out a bit.
Attached File  SnapShot_download.png   24.49KB   24 downloads
Attached File  SnapShot_download_2.png   11.31KB   19 downloads
Attached File  SnapShots_download_3.png   8.59KB   18 downloads
Note: I still getting the message found new hardware on startup but can't take a snapshot of message.
I still have no Idea where this darn download came from,it just poped up about two days ago on startup.
And I have no clue of new hardware found message poping up I have not installed any new hardware latley.
The lastest item installed was my Razer death adder mouse but it came with the drivers and software on a CD.and I did not upgrade it online works great with the software it came with.By the way if you game it's a hell of a mouse and very easy and quick to adjust the settings.
Thanks Raner

#5 Teano

Teano

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:51 AM

You might want to check "Active Setup" in the registry.
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup and HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup
Microsoft often use's these keys to setup software for new and exisisting user's, to make sure the each profile have the software installed...

You may want to also check your run and runonce keys as well.

Just a thought, Good Luck,

Teano

#6 James K

James K

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:32 AM

Hi Raner,

When did your new razer mouse get installed on your pc?

Daft question there isnt still a ps2 mouse plugged in the back is there?

Also as a temp measure to stop the pop up you can try to head into device manager look under other devices and uninstall any '?' items.

Also i would try to reconnect the mouse in another USB port whilst the computer is logged on, as i belive sometimes there are issues with the mouse and its firmware mode.

Hope this helps,

James,

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

I might take a look in Device Manager...if I wanted to have a clue as to why the Hardware Wizard might activate.

Any device installed or requiring setup/install/drivers should be reflected there.

FWIW: It's generally considered a dicey proposition...when a user utilizes Windows Update for driver downloads. Since your original message stated that it was a "Microsoft download", I have to guess that's what you meant.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users