Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Reformat Instructions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DocSatan

DocSatan

Bleepin' Wanna-Be

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:12 AM

Hey Guys and Girls,

A friend of mine wants to reformat his Dell Laptop, which has a Vista OS. His reason is that he wants to start over...fresh. :huh:

I had run some AV/AS/AW scans and he had some rogue programs and some minor infections (uses P2P). So that, combined with "2mb of memory left" (his words, I didn't check), he wants to start over with a new install.

I checked out the Vista Tutorials, but the "Repair" section seems to offer recovery instructions, but no Reformat instructions (i'm not familiar with Vista). I did some Google searches for Reformatting Vista, but thought I would ask my BleepingPeeps for guidance, as I value your knowledge and experience. :huh:

Thanks in advance.

Doc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:20 AM

Was Vista installed originally or is it an upgrade from a previous OS?
Dell's come with an recovery CD or partition that makes a reinstall mostly an automated task.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...;l=en&s=gen

#3 DocSatan

DocSatan

Bleepin' Wanna-Be

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:53 AM

Hey MishY,

Thanks for that link!

Yup, his original OS is Vista..no upgrade. Sounds like this will take about 15mins if there are no problems. :huh:

The practice of placing the condensed OS files in a separate drive is great for speedy reformat, but it seems to take up a lot of space on the computer.."up to 4.5GB".

Thanks again!

Doc.

#4 DocSatan

DocSatan

Bleepin' Wanna-Be

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:29 AM

Well, had to go the "Advanced" route and reformat from the CD. Couldn't for the life of me get in to "ctrl F11". Got there once, but was at work and missed the time frame to choose an option, so it booted normally. Never could get back to it (hours of trying).

So, now that the LapTop is reformatted, his c: drive is is still crammed (9gb free of a 64gb drive). I'm sure it has to do with the Windows.old folder. Is it safe to delete this folder? Also, would I be able to re-install any programs found in this folder, like Avast! and Comodo?

Thanks again!

Doc.

#5 JMHanly

JMHanly

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:13 AM

I just re-format my vista too, to get a fresh HDD you have to boot from the disk

Here are some easy steps to format the HDD:
1. Put the Windows Vista disk in
2. Shut down your computer
3. Start it up again but as the dell loading bar is loading keep pressing the F12 button (so u dont miss the opportunity to press it)
4. Select the CD drive to boot from
5. Now you are into Windows vista set-up (which u've prolly seen b4)
6. Go thru the set-up while selecting all the recommended settings, until you get to the step when u can see all the HDDs
7. Select the HDD you want to start fresh from and then select the format/delete button (this will take a couple of minutes after you've pressed to button, there is no loading bar for the format, the screen simply freezes, so dont worry)
8. Continue thru the steps to install vista

I wud suggest that u print this out b4 hand so you can follow it while your going thru the steps.

Hope that helped,
Jay :huh:

#6 DocSatan

DocSatan

Bleepin' Wanna-Be

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:01 AM

Hey JMHanly,

Thank you for those instructions! :huh:

I tried following the instructions from HERE on using the Recovery Drive (ctrl F11), that comes with Dell computers, but I couldn't get into it. I ended up reformatting from the Vista CD.

I'll be saving your instructions for future use though. :huh:

Doc.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:07 AM

I'm sure it has to do with the Windows.old folder. Is it safe to delete this folder? Also, would I be able to re-install any programs found in this folder, like Avast! and Comodo?

Yes to both questions
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932912
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933212
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users