Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Niniane

Niniane

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:01 AM

I've just collected my computer from the local repair shop after I couldn't get it to start. I've been told that there are no hardware faults and that it appears that Windows XP is corrupt. Rather than pay the extra dollars to get the reinstall done at the shop, I have decided to do it myself. Before reinstalling Windows, I would like to rescue some files from the hard drive that were not backed up (just a few Christmas movie files). Can someone please explain how I do this when I can't get the computer to start at all. I get to the point where I am asked if I want Windows to start normally/in Safe mode etc but regardless of which option I choose, the computer restarts and ends up at the same screen. I have tried the Support disk that came with the computer but when I choose the option of 'Start Recovery', I am given a warning saying 'Cannot open swap file c:\cwsdpmi.swp'. Despite this, it continues to the next screen where the language is selected, followed by the licence agreement but then an error message appears saying that the necessary recovery files are not in their original folder and the whole process starts again. Any ideas?
Thanks!
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James K

James K

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:59 AM

Hi Niniane,

Do you have an original Windows XP disk? if so you can try a Windows repair (This fixes the vast majority of 'corrupt' O/S)

In terms of getting the data back off your machine without the O/S booting best way is to put your hard drive in another machine which boots fine and pull your files off that way.

Hope this helps

James,

#3 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:45 PM

Thanks James,

I do have an original Windows disk for another computer. Does this matter? As mentioned, this one only came with a support CD.

I have another computer but it already has 2 hard drives in it. Would it be as simple as temporarily replacing the second hard drive with this one to extract the files or am I living in La-La land?? :thumbsup:

#4 James K

James K

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:47 AM

No your exactly right if you replace the secondary hard drive for a short time just to pull off your data that will be fine! will take a little bit of digging but you'll get there!

Hope this helps.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users