Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard disk low, changing TEMP directory doesn't help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 onechan

onechan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:50 AM

we have a pc here in the company with a windows XP installed and its hard drive is running out of space.

Posted Image

the hardrive has 2 partitions

currently C: and D:

the C: drive has 346MB (NTFS)
the D: drive has 791MB (FAT32)

i've changed the temp directory to D: so that the temp will go straight to D:, but when we download files larger than C: drive, windows does not allow to download it because the hd is running out of space. which means, windows still uses the C: as the virtual memory

since the D: drive is able to accept downloads larger than 400MB but less than its size, i plan to set it as the virtual memory,

how could i set windows to use D: as the main virtual memory?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

Hi onechan, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Take a look at this Microsoft KB Article: How to move the paging file in Windows XP.

#3 Doug.Gentry

Doug.Gentry

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:57 PM

I think I'd be talking with the purchasing dept about ordering a new hard drive of say 80 GB. In fact you'll be hard pressed to find a hard drive at 80 now days. Most are 120 and then up.

With the amount of room you have left the next time you run windows update you'll be down even more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users