Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Deleting A Folder In The Recycle Bin.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 Fallen Angel0

Fallen Angel0

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:44 AM

Hello,

I have a folder that, when sent to the recycle bin, refuses to be permanently deleted (I get the message "Cannot delete file: "). I tried restoring and renaming the folder, but it still would not be emptied from the recycle bin. When I right-click the folder, the properties say that it "contains "0 folders" and has a size of 0kb. Yet, when I open the folder, there is visibly another folder entitled "D3_B0_CA_D3_F2_D6_28OST_29W_ ......" The name seems to go on and on with the random letters and numbers. When I right-click this bizarre folder, I get the options "Open, Explore, Search...., Send to". It seems I can't even view the properties. I tried opening it, but nothing happens.

I have had a virus infection on my computer before, and it was cleared due to the kind folks here. I'm not sure if this folder might have resulted from the virus. I noticed the problem months ago but was too lazy to do anything about it, since it doesn't seem to be harmful ^^;

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Also, I'm not very good with computers, and so, would like to ask for your patience. ^^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:59 AM

Boot into safe mode, and try to delete the folder.
How to boot into safe mode:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

#3 Fallen Angel0

Fallen Angel0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:47 PM

Hello Queen-Evie,

Thank you for your response. But unfortunately, I cannot delete the folder from the recycle bin in safe mode either (I still get the message: "Cannot delete file: "). :thumbsup: It's a stubborn little folder.

Please and thank you for your time.

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:11 PM

Have you tried Ccleaner? A lot of folks here use it. IMHO don't use the registry part of the program.

#5 Fallen Angel0

Fallen Angel0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:04 AM

Hello Layback Bear,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I downloaded the Ccleaner, but it turned out I was still unable to delete that folder. The Ccleaner worked well in clearing my Temp Internet Files, Temp Files, History, etc... but though it wrote it had emptied the recycle bin, when I checked the bin, the folder remained.

I'm open to any and all suggestions ^^.

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

Try this, some time it works for me. If you have,(sent to ) when you right click on the file. Send it to a floppy. That way if it works and for what ever reason you want it back you got it.

#7 Fallen Angel0

Fallen Angel0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:59 PM

Hi Layback Bear,

^^ Thanks again for your suggestion! I tried to send it to my memory stick but I recieved the message: ""Cannot copy file: " Looks like the folder doesn't want to go anywhere. :thumbsup:

#8 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:02 PM

In my experience, when I had a 0 byte file, it meant a corrupted drive(usually flash drive), so I had just reformatted it.

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:08 PM

Keep trying and let us know how you fix the problem. If I can think of any thing else to try I will post.

#10 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:06 AM

If you have Malwarebytes installed you could try the File Assassin feature.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#11 TallyHo

TallyHo

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:31 AM

hi.

i use unlocker for stubborn files. select move to desktop and erase from there.

or it may offer to delete on reboot.

http://ccollomb.free.fr/

cheers..

Edited by TallyHo, 24 May 2009 - 03:31 AM.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:56 AM

You also might have to take ownership of the file in order to delete it
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 Fallen Angel0

Fallen Angel0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:31 AM

To all the lovely people that gave me suggestions, my apologies for not replying sooner. :flowers: I was busy with other stuff. The problem with the undeletable folder still remains though.... unfortunately ^^;

- - - - - -
Hello trashcan7,

Thank you for your input. What is reformatting? Is it something I have to bring my computer to a shop for? (I'd like to avoid that if possible. ^^; Cause it's not easy hoisting my desk away from the wall to unplug all the wires and whatnot XD).

- - - - - -
Heya again Layback Bear! =]

Thank you for all your help. I will keep trying. I'll out stubborn that folder!! :thumbsup:

- - - - - -
G'day bluesjunior,

I just installed Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and am performing a scan. ^^ I'll definitely try to rid myself of the folder with it. Thank you! (I couldn't find the File Assassin feature yet.... Does it show up after scanning? @_@).

- - - - - -
Hi hi TallyHo,

I tried getting rid of the folder with Unlocker, but alas, it did not work. I restored the folder from the recycle bin back to its original location and used Unlocker to delete it. But though Unlocker says the object has been deleted, when I checked back, the folder was still right there. XD But thank you very much, I appreciate your help!

- - - - - -
Hello garmanma,

Much thanks for your suggestion! I don't know if I had ownership of the folder before or not, but thanks to you, I know I have it now! I took ownership of the folder first, before trying out the others' kind advice. ^^ I'm sure this'll take me one step farther in the path to conquering the folder.

#14 infection13

infection13

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:22 AM

try this mhen...

...go to Folder Options--->View tab--->then under Advance Settings...choose Show hidden files and folders....and uncheck Hide protected operating system files(Recommended)....

...open drive c: then find the folder Recycle folder not Recycler folder but the Recycle folder then delete it and also the autorun.inf

....now go back to recycle bin then delete the crap...hehe...

...i think this one can help...

#15 Fallen Angel0

Fallen Angel0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:28 PM

Hello infection13,

Thank you very much for your help. :thumbsup: But I can't seem to find the Recycle folder in C:, even after enabling Show hidden files and folders and unchecking Hide protected operating system files (Recommended). ^^; I did see the Recycler folder though. I tried looking for the Recycle folder using search (with the option of searching hidden files and folders), but it didn't come up in the results.

I also searched for autorun.inf. It came up quite a few times in different locations. I don't know what all of them are for, so I just left them alone. ^^;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users