Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Spacebar not doing what it did in vista

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lucidolph

Lucidolph

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:26 PM

I am on Windows XP sp3...

I've just formatted my Vista HD, due to problems...
Backed up all my music etc, and put it back on my clean install of XP

Put my playlists back into WMP10... for some reason, ALL playlists used to be C:\Program Files\... which is what they're MEANT to be...
NOW, they're C:\Documents and Settings\Program Files... So i've had to move my WHOLE folder there, no idea why...
Yes, that's annoying, now onto the REAL issue...

I have about 3000playlists, and i love the fact i can seach for them like i would a file in explorer...
If i want Radiohead (who i hate) i'd press 'Rad' and that'd most likely take me to that playlist, and away we go... loved it...

However, NOW... well, it still does THAT fine, but the 'spacebar' no longer works,
If i have "my chemical romance" (who i also hate) i could type 'my', and no more...

Normally i could happily type 'my che' at least... but the spacebar doesn't work that way anymore...
This IS very annoying... because i have a good 600playlists with 'ACM: ' at the beginning, for reasons to make things easier.
Now ALL those playlists are hard to find, coz i can do 'ACM:'... and that's it, can't include the space, so i can't easily navigate to 'ACM: Matrix...'

This may seem like a minor issue to you, but to me, it's a BIG one... i'm used getting to ANY playlist without my monitor on, NOW i cant...
I hope there's a way to fix this, it's really doing my head in, and i'm assuming it IS coz i'm on XP now, because i'm using the same WMP, same everything, cept the OP...

Please help
Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lucidolph

Lucidolph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:20 AM

Something else I just noticed...
If I wanted to change the name of a playlist, of file... I can't simply select the WHOLE filename with 'Ctrl+A'
THAT no longer works...

Just thought I should add that too.
Thanks.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:21 PM

<>

No such file parameters for anything that should be in the C:\Programs Files folder.

Sooo...where exactly did you move these files?

I can't help you with your playlist situation, I don't use those.

But...it seems that you may have hardware problems (IMO) so I suggest checking out your hard drive. Two different Windows products behaving unpredictably and unexpectedly...can be more than just chance.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#4 Lucidolph

Lucidolph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:00 PM

Sorry for the late reply...

My playlists WERE correct on my Vista HD, all working fine, all C:\Program Files...
So i backed up my playlists, formatted, my HD... Installed XP sp3,
Imported my playlists, and ALL my music is in the exact same folder as it was on my Vista HD...
Yet for some reason the path that the playlists look in have NOT all changed...
For some reason it's about 50% of them, just have C:\Documents and Settings\Program Files... Then from there it's correct
Just have NO idea why it adds 'Documents and Settings' ... So now i have had to move my music folder into the destination that it looks,
so "C:\Documents and Settings..." now 50% of my playlists work, and the other 50% dont, so i've just had to right click, get the file path
paste it and remove the "Documents and Settings" part, which'll take me to my music, THEN sort the playlist from there, yeah... It's damn annoying.
Anyway, i guess it's not the worst, doesn't take long, doesn't bother me too much NOW...
My HD is NOW fine, no problems, alls going well, apart from this ANNOYING spacebar issue, still have no idea why...
It's as if instead of searching for a 'space' in the playlist, the SPACEBAR is mapped to DO something? a different function, because u just hear *beep*
when pressing it in search for a playlist, or for any reason really, and this is the EXACT same WMP that i was using in Vista, and the same keyboard...
So realllllyyy, it HAS to be that i'm now on XP... so i dunno if there's a way to remove this "FUNCTION?" that perhaps the spacebar is trying to carry out,
orrr.... ughh, i really don't even know if there's anything i can do, but THAT'S the part that annoys me, and it is a big deal to me, makes everything
so much harder...

Thanks in advance, HOPE someone can help

Isaac

#5 Lucidolph

Lucidolph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:29 PM

Bump...