Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connected to Network, but no Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CrossCut49

CrossCut49

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:37 PM

Hey everyone,
I'm currently running XP Pro SP2, and recently, I have undergone a problem with my network. I called my ISP about a different computer on the same network that seemed to not get a connection to the internet. However, after the ISP reset the IP, my computer shortly started to seize to see a connection to the internet.

I am running the network with a WPN311 RangeMax PCI Adapter. I have tried manually setting the options, as well as having auto set the connections, however it is still not allowing me to access the internet. The network is connected, not at full strength, but nonetheless connected. At some points, I can get a connection for about 5 minutes. then it would seem to stop, and then I would just have to seem to try and wati to see if it would come back.

Pinging the connection showed 4/4 on everything. I have also tried reinstalling the network driver.

if anyone has any other assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

Try rebooting your network in this order if your ISP didn't instruct you on this yet.. Turn off the modem, the router, and your computer.. Turn on the modem and wait for the online light to light. Then turn on your router and finally your computer.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 CrossCut49

CrossCut49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

Sneaky,
Thanks for the quick response! At first, this method was very successful, but about 20 minutes after my connection was thrust into offline mode yet again. I was recieving very few packets, and sending very many, if that has anything to do with anything.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:33 AM

Is the computer your having trouble with connecting through wireless or through Cat-5 ( standard networking cable)?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 CrossCut49

CrossCut49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:00 AM

I am running on a wireless network that is recieving a signal strength of 1-2 bars.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:44 PM

Are you connecting more than one computer at the same time? Have you tried Resetting the router back to defaults? Does the computer work ok using a wired connection.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users