Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

e-mail finds server/downloads email to inbox

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:37 PM

Hello There all,

OS: Win xp pro SP 2 with all critical updates (SP 3 not installed)

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3GHz..4 gigs ram..Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo

Hitachi 320 gig HD

Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB video card

Symantec corporate gold anti virus and firewall

SpywareBlaster..Spybot S&D..Windows Defender..Adaware Free anniversary edition...SuperAntiSpyware..

MalwareBytes...CrapCleaner..Diskeeper Pro 2008 all currently updated.

Here is the problem: This system is part of a small home network and is the lead computer (newest,Most powerful) along with a dell laptop latitude D505 and a Gateway PC desktop all connected to the internet via satellite dish with a linksys router.There are no issues with the laptop or the Gateway desktop.All is good with those two machines and the wireless home network is working just fine.

When I start the newer machine it loads win xp pro properly and when I access my email (Outlook Express) it finds the server and downloads my e-mail into the inbox just fine if I click a link in any e-mail the program does not bring me to that internet address.

I am running Firefox 3.08 as my default browser and IE 7 as another browser; both of these browsers open but do not take me to my home page, however the proper url for the homepage is shown in IE 7 But no homepage is shown in Firefox in the url field.

If I open both browsers and go to my homepage setup the proper homepage is listed there within the browsers so it doesn't look like the browsers have been hijacked.

If I type any web address in the url field of either browser I am not taken to that address or webpage.And if I attempt using any of my search engines in either browser I am not given access to the internet.

If I attempt to update any of the security utilities they are not connecting to the net to update.However the utilities will scan the operating system but show no signs of any spyware,malware, infections etc.

I tryed to see if firefox had any updates available and I got a small pane which said: FireFox could not be updated; AUS: update xml file malformed (200)

When I restart this system as it is closing down to restart I get a message which says this program is not responding and gives this: IAMAPP.EXE is not responding, select end to shut down now.

I googled IAMAPP.EXE and it is a folder within my symantec firewall program so then I disabled my internet connection with the intention of uninstalling my Symantec Firewall and Antivirus program and then attempting to re-install these programs thinking that there is a corrupted file somewhere within the firewall proggy but I am not able to uninstall symantec by going to "Add and Remove Programs". It will not let me uninstall this program.

If I attempt to open the firewall by clicking on the icon in the system tray the program won't open and the icon shows a little red x which means the firewall is disabled.But when I go into Start>all programs>symantec firewall program the application opens but I can't update it.And I can't uninstall it.

I hope I have started this thread in the proper place and look forward to any help anyone might be able to give me.

Thank you all very much,

ranger72 :thumbsup:
So Much To Learn; So Little Time To Learn It In!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:49 PM

This system was working perfectly until two days ago and for the life of me I can't think of anything i downloaded or installed which could have caused this.

And I might be wrong but I don't think this system is infected, I more think that it is a matter of settings or a corrupted file in my Symantec Corporate gold firewall but I am definately above my computer paygrade at this point!

thanks again,

ranger72

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:50 PM

When clicking a link in OE, if it does not do anything try this:

From the top of this page, click on Tools/Internet Options.

Advanced tab.
At the bottom of the Advanced section, click Reset in the Reset Internet Explorer settings.
After the reset, click OK.
Close out Internet Options, open up OE, click on a link and see if it opens.

This will reset your homepage to msn, but you can easily change it back to whatever you prefer.

When you attempt to uninstall Symantec, did you shut it down so it's not running?
This is the only thing I can think of for this issue.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with your browser issues. Hopefully someone else will be able to work with you on that.

#4 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

Thank you kindly for your response Queen-Evie!

I tried your suggestion and unfortunately it had no effect on links in my e-mail. I was not able to connect after your suggested change.

This is a real puzzler to me!

Thanks again and let us know if you can think of any other ideas.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:57 PM

Maybe an over-active popup blocker? Try holding down the ctrl key while clicking the link. If it opens, then it is a popup blocker.

I wish my other suggested had worked, that's usually the fix for that issue.

#6 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:31 AM

Thank you Queen-Evie once again!

I tried your suggestion and no joy! There is something more complicated going on here because this is effecting both my browsers and the email while still my OS indicates I am connected to the net. One of the symptoms is this Program not responding when I restart the machine showing the "IAMAPP.EXE". It requires me to click on the "end now" button in order for the machine to actually restart. This symptom manifested itself simultaenneously with this whole issue.

I found a Norton removal tool at the Symantec site which should work for my firewall removal and we will see how that works. If that is successful I should be able to download/install avg free after that and I am hoping that should put me back in business.

I found this here: http://www.google.com/search?q=IAMAPP.EXE&...lient=firefox-a

I will let you know what happens. At the very worst I will have to reformat/reinstall win xp so I have nothing to lose but time. My important stuff is backed up.

thanks again,

Edited by ranger72, 22 April 2009 - 07:32 AM.

#7 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

Yes Queen-Evie there is a Santa Claus!

I was able to get an uninstall tool at the Symantec site which finally allowed me to uninstall my Symantec Firewall and AntiVirus programs. I burned the tool onto a cd-r from another confuser in my home network then installed the proggy from the disk to my offending puter and finally was able to uninstall Symantec. I did this after disabling my internet connection so that my puter was not exposed to the net.

After re-installing from my Symantec disk and then doing all my live-updates I am now back in business.Hopefully all this amounted to was a corrupted IAMAPP.EXE file.

Everything is working fine now; I am able to access the internet from both my browsers (IE7 & FF) and my homepages are once again proper and I am able to link to the net through the Outlook Express e-mails.

The last thing I am going to do is now update all my security utilities and run them to insure that nothing else lousy slipped through the cracks while Win XP Pro was messed up!

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users