Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Isass.exe System Error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iggy74

iggy74

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:14 PM

My wife's Gateway Laptop came up with the topic error last night. IT has XP Home edition SP3 on it. All MS patches were on the machine. Last thing done to it was to run a fulld Mcafee scan, which turned up around 7 trojans, that were quarantined. Machine was turned off. Now it is stuck in dreaded reboot mode because of this error. I probably do not have a boot disk. I cannot go back to the last good recovery point. Any suggestions from anyone?
If it is a sasser virus, I can't see how it got it since all MS patches were downloaded and installed when they came out, and Mcafee get updated religiously.
And of course since its her laptop, I'm on the couch!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

:flowers:

Try starting up tapping F8 key?

When the Screen comes up select "Last known Good Start up Settings"

Post back after.

:thumbsup:

#3 iggy74

iggy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:27 PM

Last known good recovery ends up the same problem, except no Isass.exe pop up box. Windows is starting screen just stays on, without EVER coming up.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:44 AM

I guess I have to wonder...what makes you think "Sasser" as a possible cause?

If I suspected something like that, I think I'd post at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Louis

#5 tjdouglas

tjdouglas

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:58 AM

I guess I have to wonder...what makes you think "Sasser" as a possible cause?

If I suspected something like that, I think I'd post at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Louis

I had a similar situation after an Adobe Reader update, so I agree that you should probably post to the "Am I infected" forum. But first I'd try restarting with a windows xp disc in the drive, and running the recovery console, you're probably just missing some windows files (that happens sometimes when you eliminate a bunch of malware).

Search around BC and you'll probably find an even better solution.

Tim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users