Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Testing Virus Products?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Evil Ira

Evil Ira

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

Right, ok, is there anyway I can get viruses on my computer, and getting antivirus' to test them, without trashing my computer? If this is in the wrong section, just move it. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

If you don't know what you're getting into, stop reading now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need two basic things:

1. A Virtual Machine (try VirtualBox)
2. An OS disk with any required activation

Then you need a site where you can download your malware. I like

malwaredomainlist .com
and
malwaredomains .com

Once you are set, have some fun :thumbsup:

Edited by o_rly, 21 April 2009 - 09:00 PM.

Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:46 AM

They have created EICAR(European Institute for Computer Antivirus Research) test virus, just for testing antiviruses. This virus does nothing only all antiviruses get triggered if they are working properly.

This is a safe way to test your antivirus.

Open Notepad, and put the following line and try to save it as some executable like "eicar.exe". See what happens.
X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

More information:
http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

Personally, I do not recommend what o_rly has said, if VirtualBox is networked with host OS, some malwares have the ability to spread through it. Most antivirus companies use a separate un-networked computer as a testing machine. If they test for a network worm, then they use a separate network as testing machine network.

#4 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:00 AM

With all due respect if you need to ask these questions maybe you should not be testing AVs just yet.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

With all due respect if you need to ask these questions maybe you should not be testing AVs just yet.

I agree with Someones.

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:29 AM

If you have a spare computer you don't mind trashing go for it. I would not use it on a computer that is network connected. IMHO I would leave such things up to the pro's. There are many of punks creating this garbage and thousands of pro's around the would trying to discover and stop them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users