Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop shut down - don't know why

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

Hi. My laptop shut down recently - the screen just went black and I had to restart it. It happened more than once, but only when the laptop was plugged in. It ran on battery ok it seemed.

Part of my fan was loose and I figured it was probably that which short circuited my laptop. I got that removed and bought a cooling pad so I could still keep the laptop cool and all seemed fine. But I moved it away from the fan just for a moment and the same happened as before - the screen went black and it had shut down. There is nothing to cause it to short circuit now and it couldn't have been because of the laptop being too hot. It was still cold. My laptop, even before the fan part got in the way, overheated and the fan never worked properly, but the laptop still worked alright so not having the whole fan shouldn't really make a difference...I think the fan does still work, just very badly.

It still said there was power to the laptop so I don't think the power went. It should run on the battery anyway.

Any ideas what might have caused this and what I can do about it?

Edit: I moved the laptop with the cooling pad/fan and it shut down again :thumbsup: So it can't be the fan. This time I don't think there was any electric to it though. It shut down when I tilted the laptop just slightly - maybe this is why. However, when I had it on the desk I tipped it right up and tipped it to the side more than once and it was fine. Actually while it's on the cooling pad it is tipped forwards slightly the whole time. So now I'm really confused lol.

The power cable isn't that old and seems fine so I don't think it's that. Power stays on fine usually so it doesn't seem as if it could be an internal power problem, but I dunno. The battery is pretty rubbish when the laptop runs on it, but it does work. I don't really know what else it could be.

Any help would be great :flowers:

Edited by sn0zb0z, 21 April 2009 - 02:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:46 PM

Could be a faulty power connector on the laptop. Try wiggling the power cord and see if it shuts off.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:58 AM

No, I've moved the power cable before with no effect. When I first switched it on yesterday it said it was running on battery to start with and I moved the cable, but I think it was running on power and the laptop was just going too slow to realise and change the symbol lol. But either way I've moved the cable more than once and nothing happened so...

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:16 AM

It sounds like the power adapter has failed.
As for removing a fan, If it was a fan inside the laptop it needs to be fixed properly with the fan restored.
Laptops need all the cooling they can get & if that fan wasn't neccessary the co. wouldn't have spent the $ to put it there.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:11 AM

It sounds like the power adapter has failed.
As for removing a fan, If it was a fan inside the laptop it needs to be fixed properly with the fan restored.
Laptops need all the cooling they can get & if that fan wasn't neccessary the co. wouldn't have spent the $ to put it there.

If it has what does that mean? It obviously hasn't completely failed whatever it is.

I didn't remove the actual fan. Just something to do with it...a small square thing - the fan spins still. It's no worse than it was when it was new. The fan is rubbish and always has been, but I am keeping it cold now as I have a cooling pad with three fans for under the laptop.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:38 PM

A small square thing, That wasnt the heat sink for the processor or the Chipset was it?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:20 PM

Not sure. Searched to try and find out but nothing quite looks the same as it o.O

It is possible it is the heat sink, but I don't know. It seems fans are a big problem with this make of laptop though (Advent)

All I know is it came off ages ago and has never made a difference to my laptop

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

If it is the heat sink for the processor it will be mounted directly to the processor with thermal paste and the processor fan will be attached to it. If it was for the chip set it would have been mounted to the north bridge or south bridge chip. Heat sinks are pretty obvious they all tend to be somewhat similar (I use that term very loosely) most are made of metal and have some sort of fins on them. They are usually bonded with thermal cement or stuck on with thermal paste both of which are generally white in color. If this was the processor Heat sink I am surprised it has run this long without frying, it should be replaced promptly. As for the Chipset cooler while not as critical as the processor the chip set overheating can cause headaches as well.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:52 AM

If it is the heat sink for the processor it will be mounted directly to the processor with thermal paste and the processor fan will be attached to it. If it was for the chip set it would have been mounted to the north bridge or south bridge chip. Heat sinks are pretty obvious they all tend to be somewhat similar (I use that term very loosely) most are made of metal and have some sort of fins on them. They are usually bonded with thermal cement or stuck on with thermal paste both of which are generally white in color. If this was the processor Heat sink I am surprised it has run this long without frying, it should be replaced promptly. As for the Chipset cooler while not as critical as the processor the chip set overheating can cause headaches as well.

Thanks. It was stuck on with some sort of paste or glue or something. I don't know - it fell off and it was put back on, but then it fell off again because the laptop still overheated. Now I have the cooler it may stay on if placed back. I haven't got a clue where it was originally placed though. From the description I'd say it sounds like the heat sink.

Fan is working as well as it ever did, but now I'm able to keep the laptop cooler. I'm not convinced that the shutting down problem is to do with the fan. But then again, it doesn't exactly seem to be a power problem either so...who knows. My laptop has done strange things for no reason in the past lol

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:46 PM

You will need new thermal compound for the heat sink. Generally it has retention clips that keep it on (With PC's this is the case) however I am not positive with laptops. You can find it at Newegg.com most popular is Arctic Silver. If this is not for the processor and its for the Chipset you will want thermal cement. Do not use this on the processor this is permanent epoxy that does not come off.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#11 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:14 PM

Ok, thanks. I'll look into getting that sorted

You think that the fan is the only reason for it shutting down? Just it hasn't been right for ages yet the shutting down has only just started. If it makes a difference, it has done some other random things like make my main account a temp account so I guess it's possible it isn't just a hardware problem...

#12 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:18 AM

The fan part was replaced and my laptop has gone weird. The screen went multicoloured and it refused to shut down. I closed and opened the lid a couple of times and moved it slightly then it finally went off. Now the screen seems ok, but it is refusing to run on just the battery.

Something obviously isn't right here. And the fan still goes mad trying to work at times like before, but luckily the cooling pad is keeping the laptop cool enough

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users