Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

power button

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:49 PM

originally i put this under internal hardware, but i guess its more appropriate for it to go here.

ok, i have an old compaq 5610 that i really just want to use the tower to put parts that i have into. i just don't know how i can figure out the power button wires. they are in a harness that they will need to come out of, but then i need to find out how to figure out where they will go. can anyone help with this or point me to a place that can helP?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:47 PM

They might be propriety, but if not, each wire (except for the HDD activity indicators which would be 1-pin) should be 2-pin connections. You should try to be careful and remember, at least, which one is the power button. The rest may not even be needed/necessary. On the different motherboard, the manual should be able to tell you where each connection goes.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:23 PM

Consult your motherboard manual. It should have all the diagrams explaining everything.

#4 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:31 PM

ok i have the manual for the new one, so thats not the problem. The problem i have is that the old power button is coming from a 10 year old machine, and each wire does not have a connector, and i can't find a manual for the computer let alone the manual for just the motherboard. I will have to take the wires off of the existing connector and put each pin in their own. The problem i have is how i'm going to identify each wire.

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:45 AM

Remove the front panel from the computer & write down what wires go yo what.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:36 AM

darn.. i thought about bringing to work incase somebody asked that question, but then i just set it back down. haha. guess I'll just have to wait till i get home to reply with that answer

#7 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

there is green, black, orange, red, a space, then a purple

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:04 PM

then its doing it the hard way, I had a HP that had wiring harness and I went to put a new build in the case. I had to figure out which wires did what, then used a pair of side cutters to cut the harness apart and then plugged them into the appropriate motherboard pins. the motherboard manual should say which pin goes where, and as far as the harness just follow the wires back and see what they plug into (HDD light, power switch, reset, etc) and go from there.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:55 PM

Well I. CAnt find a manual for the compaq motherboard, and it's not marked on the board since the wires were in a harness. I can't tell what the wires actually go to because they are in a harness that is connected on a board that the button and led's are attatched to. I'll take a picture later. I'm thinking that even if I find a manual for the old mother board it isn't going to contain the info I'm looking for. Anyone have an idea where I might be able to find the manual, I have found the userguide for the computer. But nothing detailed a out the motherboard

#10 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:56 PM

here are the pictures of what i'm dealing with

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by dempseyjosh, 24 April 2009 - 07:06 PM.

#11 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

Looks like some wires are missing.
Found this...hope it helps.

Red - This is the + power
Orange - This is the - power
Yellow - This is the sleep state LED
Green - This is the active state LED
Blue - This is the HDD activity LED (interchangable with Brown)
Brown - This is the HDD activity LED (interchangable with Blue)
Shiney Black - This is a ground (?)
Black - This is a ground

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:18 AM

follow that color combo, as for on the motherboard, well I guess its just the old plug em and and keep doin it till something works.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:27 AM

According to the images, the wiring is:

Black: Ground - common to all
Green: Power switch
Red: Center LED
Orange: LED furthest from the plug
Blue/(Purple?): LED closest to the plug

If you only want to use the power button ("i just don't know how i can figure out the power button wires"), use black and green.

If you also want to use the LED indicators, since the ground connection is common, it would only work properly and be sure to cause no damage on a motherboard where all the connections are expected to be made to a common ground. That can't be assumed, which is why universal cases have individual connections (2 wires) to all switches/LEDs. If you still want to use the case in this way (ie the mounts suit the motherboard and presumably having no reset switch is OK), and you can't be certain the motherboard references all its connection to ground, then you would need to cut all but one of the ground tracks on that small board and solder on a negative wire to connect each function. (It would probably only be two LED connections you'd need, power and drive activity.)

Edited by Platypus, 25 April 2009 - 03:33 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#14 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:20 PM

You dont hav to worry about your old motherboard, you need to find out pins markings on your new motherboard.

In the pictures attached : If you could remove the harness from the PCB and took pictures of both sides we could see which wire is going where.
From these pictures I can guess that Purple is common ground. Green is going to Power Switch and others to the three LEDS.

If you can find the pin markings in your new motherboard, you can attach the wires to them. For example, if you find 2 pin with POWER marking on side, you can attach Purple and Green to them. You will have to use a connector like this:

Posted Image

You will need three extra wires, for other LED's as you will have to attach one cable to the Purple and other to respective LED's wire in the connector.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users