Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

crc error Kernel panic - not syncing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Fat2000

Fat2000

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:37 AM

I took the test and it recomended the following; :thumbsup:

• KUbuntu
  • Linux Mint
  • Ubuntu
  • Mandriva
  • OpenSuse

Now, I have everyone of those distros except for Linux Mint. I liked what I saw about each one of those distros "except Linux Mint" but when I try to load either of those distros "except Linux Mint". I get an error such as this; :flowers:

crc error
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block (1,0)
:trumpet:

here are the specs for the system I am loading them on to; :)

• Pentuim III 866 Proc
  • ASUS CUV4X-E Motherboard w/ Award Medallion Bios V6.0
  • 256k Cache Mem
  • 1Gb Installed Mem
  • Geforce2 video card with 64mb
  • Primary IDE drive: 10gig Maxtor
  • Secondary IDE drive: 40gig Western Digital
  • Lite-On DVD/RW drive
  • 1.44 Floppy

This is going to be my Linux system and it is not going to have a dual boot in it so it is already partitioned for Linux only. So, what could I do to fix this or do I need to get a new computer? :cool:

Thank you for any help or advice you can provide. :inlove:

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 21 April 2009 - 12:13 PM.
Split From Other Topic - AA

"I wear my TUX to LAN parties!"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gareth_f

gareth_f

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:01 AM

How are you trying to install these distros? Are you booting to a CD? At what stage do you get this message?

#3 Fat2000

Fat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:21 AM

How are you trying to install these distros? Are you booting to a CD? At what stage do you get this message?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am booting from the CD or DVD in the case of OpenSuse. For one reason or another this happens when I start to install the OS from its menu. So what do you think? :flowers:

Thank you for any help. :thumbsup:

#4 gareth_f

gareth_f

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:52 AM

Ubuntu has the ability to start a "live session" without actually having to install the os. Have you tried this? Also, you said that these drives are already partitioned for linux; what filesystem did you format them as? Are you sure that the drives aren't broken?

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:10 PM

"Kernel panic - " The computer has reached a point where it is unable to continue; it has no choice but to halt.

"- not syncing" "The good news is, I wasn't in the middle of trying to write un-saved changes to disk when I died." Linux tries to do this ("to sync the filesystem") just before it halts, and it's telling you .. albeit in a backwards sort of way .. that it succeeded in doing that.

"Unable to mount root filesystem" One of the first things that the kernel must do is to "mount" (make available) the "root" (that is, "/") file system. It could not do that.

"On unknown block(0,0)" This is the device-number (0) and the partition-number (0) of the device where the kernel expects the root filesystem to be.

Probable causes: (in order)

1. The most likely cause is that the root= parameter, which must be specified in the boot-loader's kernel command line, is incorrect or specifies the wrong device. You're supposed to be able to identify the device by label; I've never gotten that to work. I use something like root=/dev/hda1.
2. Boot-loaders like Grub may count partitions starting from #0; Linux counts them from #1.
3. Some distros use a complicated "initrd" mechanism to load disk drivers. If this process isn't working for your particular device, there can be grief.

Here's some things to Check: Do these one at a time in no particular order
1) are the hard Drives installed properly and set at master and Slave or Cable Select correctly?
2)Try swapping the hard Drives (10 to slave, 40 to master)
3) Check your CD/DVD drive connections and settings.
4) Try re-burning the .ISO files to disc at 1-2X

Note: Quote come from LinuxQuestions.org

Edited by BlackSpyder, 23 April 2009 - 04:13 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Fat2000

Fat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:39 PM

Here's some things to Check: Do these one at a time in no particular order
1) are the hard Drives installed properly and set at master and Slave or Cable Select correctly?
2)Try swapping the hard Drives (10 to slave, 40 to master)
3) Check your CD/DVD drive connections and settings.
4) Try re-burning the .ISO files to disc at 1-2X

Here are the answers to thos questions;
1. Yes the HDDs are installed as a Master and a Slave not the cable select.
2. I will try swapping the drives as you suggest.
3. my CD/DVD connection is on the secondary Master IDE connection.
4. I can reburn the ISO for Mandriva but Ubuntu and OpenSuse are original install disks that I received by snail mail parcel post.

Well Ubuntu 8, I ordered from Canonical and OpenSuse was in my Linux Magazine issue that I bought from Walmart.

Now to answer gareth_f's questions;

Ubuntu has the ability to start a "live session" without actually having to install the os. Have you tried this? Also, you said that these drives are already partitioned for linux; what filesystem did you format them as? Are you sure that the drives aren't broken?

1. Yes, I did try the live session from Unbuntu and it worked fine. It was when I started the installation from either the CD or from the Live Session that I got that error.
2. The file system that they are partioned are for non-windows format, which was done by the Ubuntu disk when I first tried to install it. But that was before it gave me the error and then afterward it started to give me the error. I then tried to install OpenSuse then Madriva and they both went to their menu and I started the install in which the error followed.
4. I don't think that the drives are broken because if I run my Windows CD to install, then it runs like normal and I managed to repartioned the 10gig drive for windows and started to install windows, however my CD is scratch and it gave me an error that is totally unrelated to this thread.

But I don't want windows on this computer, I want Linux! Please help me! Maybe a dual boot will work for me but like I said I want to be pure Linux.. My wife's computer is running Windorks and so is my daughter's. I am the official Linux user in the family if I can ever get my computer running. I will try BlackSpyder's suggestions and maybe something will come out of this.

Thank you again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users