Here's some things to Check: Do these one at a time in no particular order
1) are the hard Drives installed properly and set at master and Slave or Cable Select correctly?
2)Try swapping the hard Drives (10 to slave, 40 to master)
3) Check your CD/DVD drive connections and settings.
4) Try re-burning the .ISO files to disc at 1-2X
Here are the answers to thos questions;
1. Yes the HDDs are installed as a Master and a Slave not the cable select.
2. I will try swapping the drives as you suggest.
3. my CD/DVD connection is on the secondary Master IDE connection.
4. I can reburn the ISO for Mandriva but Ubuntu and OpenSuse are original install disks that I received by snail mail parcel post.
Well Ubuntu 8, I ordered from Canonical and OpenSuse was in my Linux Magazine issue that I bought from Walmart.
Now to answer gareth_f's questions;
Ubuntu has the ability to start a "live session" without actually having to install the os. Have you tried this? Also, you said that these drives are already partitioned for linux; what filesystem did you format them as? Are you sure that the drives aren't broken?
1. Yes, I did try the live session from Unbuntu and it worked fine. It was when I started the installation from either the CD or from the Live Session that I got that error.
2. The file system that they are partioned are for non-windows format, which was done by the Ubuntu disk when I first tried to install it. But that was before it gave me the error and then afterward it started to give me the error. I then tried to install OpenSuse then Madriva and they both went to their menu and I started the install in which the error followed.
4. I don't think that the drives are broken because if I run my Windows CD to install, then it runs like normal and I managed to repartioned the 10gig drive for windows and started to install windows, however my CD is scratch and it gave me an error that is totally unrelated to this thread.
But I don't want windows on this computer, I want Linux! Please help me! Maybe a dual boot will work for me but like I said I want to be pure Linux.. My wife's computer is running Windorks and so is my daughter's. I am the official Linux user in the family if I can ever get my computer running. I will try BlackSpyder's suggestions and maybe something will come out of this.
Thank you again.