Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Local Mail Server.. in house only

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 computationalerr

computationalerr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:02 PM

We are currently using MSMail for our in house email. As most of you know, This is not supported whatsoever anymore by any programs. What would be a suitable replacement for this that costs relatively nothing? We do not need to be able to send email to the outside world with this server. I am not very good with linux, but i could learn if need be. We have an extra license for 2003 enterprise. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jmastro

jmastro

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:42 AM

If you have an extra license for server2k3 why not use the integrated pop3/smtp connector built into the OS and send mail by the username@domain.xxx format internally? If you're looking for an even easier solution, I've installed hMailServer on a few machines... maybe you want to give it a look.

#3 albert galick

albert galick

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:41 AM

I believe linux distros still come with a mailserver (sendmail?), as well as a webserver (Apache), tons of free SW, and a worldwide community almost as good as BC. :thumbsup: You can run it on a junk machine that was going out in the trash (or that you found in the trash), just maximize memory and upgrade with a new HD (higher density means faster access and better data locality). I like the perpendicular recording head Seagates. An older (mainstream) machine is perfect for linux because the community has had time to develop the SW for the formerly cutting-edge proprietary HW. So you can save your Win2k3 license for something else. Clients can run Thunderbird.

I wish I had an excuse to maintain a linux server. I know the junk machine advice sounds crazy, but actually if you separate /usr, /home, /var, /tmp and such higher operational partitions from the lower level HW related stuff on / and /etc, you can decouple them and easily upgrade HW later. I used to have a poor man's laptop on a removeable hard drive that ran on separate machines, each with linux installed across a local boot partition / and the rest on my removeable. The plan failed when faster ATA protocols wouldn't work on the jerry-rigged printronix(?) connector on the HD caddy. Not a problem anymore with SATA cabling.

Edited by albert galick, 09 May 2009 - 09:13 AM.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:20 PM

There are also quite a few free email servers available for Windows. I use Mercury, but I have used Squirrel Mail and hMailServer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users