Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:55 AM
Windows XP operating system. Most applications will not start. I double click and the hour glass appears then goes away. Programs such as hi-jack this, malwarebytes anti malware do not launch. MS Internet Explorer does not launch. However, Mozilla Firefox does and so does Goggle Earth and Quake 3. Control panel add/remove programs opens, but it will not allow me to remove any programs. No errors, just applications do not launch. I changed setting to show all files and process but nothing too strange appears in the task manager. I've booted to safe mode, but could not find anything that would work. I've looked in the widows/system directory for funky files. I can download anything, including movies, picures, but they will not launch. Also downloaded AGVfree 8.5 successfully, but it will not launch. Just get the hour glass that goes away. No errors, no nothing. MS config is set to normal boot.
I worked through steps from MajorGeeks.com. Here is what they suggested and what my response is.
Following the steps of your Malware Removal Guide:
STEP 1 House Cleaning:
* Do not use multiple Antivirus applications or software firewalls: AGV only, no firewall.
* Uninstall Malware via Add/Remove Programs: Although I do not see anything that sticks out, the system will not let me remove any programs.
* MSconfig must be set for Normal Startup Mode: Done
* Empty Quarantine files: Done (AGV)
* Empty Recycle Bin: Done
* Download and Install CCleaner: Already have ccleaner on system. The application will not launch.
STEP 2 Enable Viewing of hidden files, system files, etc.
Windows XP Cleaning Procedure
1. Download Tools
* Super AntiSpyware - OK
* Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - OK, already on system
* combofix.exe - OK, Downloaded to desktop
* MGTools - OK, downloaded to root (C:\).
SUPERAntiSpyware - Will not launch
Malwarebytes - Will not launch
I stopped here.