Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying a Gaming Computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 meokin 49

meokin 49

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

Hello all, I was in need of buying or building a new computer in the $1500 to $2000 price range as my old computer just burned out.
I had a comp from Dell with A p4 at 3.2ghz, 512 mb ram and 40gb hard drive. I have been looking at many computer companies and read reviews and such about some companies. I am not sure I will go the route of building a PC since I am not sure that it will work in the end and I probably will have issues. I have came down to a few companies...

want a core i7, gtx 260 and 500gb hard drive with 6gb of ram at least.
The companies that I came across were Alienware, Realm Computers, and Ibuypower and cyberpower. Please Tell me which company is more reliable as I am making a big purchase. Please show me reliability reports and tell me which has the better ratings. :thumbsup:

Alienware
realm computers
ibuypower
cyberpower

Edited by meokin 49, 21 April 2009 - 10:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:19 AM

If you consider a Alienware you might look at at the Dell XPS.
Since Dell bought Alienware the XPS is pretty much just a rebranded Alienware .

For the amount you have to spend it's my opinion that if you want a real gaming computer you would do much better building it yourself.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:49 AM

For the amount you have to spend it's my opinion that if you want a real gaming computer you would do much better building it yourself.

Truth. Once you get into desktops of this price range manufacturers tend to "break it off in you" pricewise. If the end user can live without an OEM warranty and "support", then it is the only way to go.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:11 PM

I second that, building a PC youself is much more economical and you can control what parts are installed. The parts individually are protected under their own warranties, so you don't really have to worry about that. Building computers is relatively easy if you do a bit of research. The board members here can help you pick out hardware and answer any build questions you might have.

3939.png

#5 Macy591

Macy591

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:49 PM

I wouldn't go with Cyberpower or IbuyPower. Check out some of the horror stories on the web or at resellerratings.com. Alienware is good but expensive and they're owned by Dell. If you don't feel comfortable building your own (and don't feel bad, I don't either) check out a company called Velocity Micro. I got their Core i7 Z55 for Christmas and it's awesome. There's a CNET review here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/velocity-...l?tag=mncol;lst

They're not as cheap as Cyber or Ibuy but the service is so much better, so I guess you get what you pay for.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:56 PM

I've heard stories about IBuyPower and CyberPower. I had a Velocity Micro, it was good machine. It did have stability problems but overall VM is a good company. My current PC (the one I'm typing this up on) is a Maingear. It's rock solid but pricey. I've heard good things about Puget Systems, though if you live on the east coast the shipping is expensive. If you feel comfortable with building, I say go that route since you control all aspects of the build.

Edited by DJBPace07, 21 April 2009 - 02:58 PM.

3939.png

#7 nightmuncher 3920200

nightmuncher 3920200

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:04 PM

When I was searching for the companies, I went to sources like BBB.com and resellerratings.com and other such places. Could not find cyberpower in the BBB since it is owned by Ibuypower. However, I looked at the computer reliability reports and scores are
Alienware D-, Realm Computers A-, Ibuypower, B-
not sure why Alienware gets a lot of complaints on reliability reports but I would also recommend Digital Storm also since they are good also.
You should be good with Digital Storm, Realm Computers or building it yourself.

#8 Ankur Singh

Ankur Singh

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:10 AM

go for an assembled one as it has more warranty and you save some money or get something more at the same cost

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:22 AM

That really depends on the manufacturer. Besides, most tech support lines don't do a good a diagnosing hardware issues anyways. The warranty on the individual components will also protect them. Also, if you build it yourself, you control the parts that go into the computer whereas OEM's like Dell may not use quality parts.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users