Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm Firewall

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Toria123

Toria123

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

Hi guys, i have just the zonealarm firewall installed about a week ago and i was wondering when i look at the Log Viewer is it normal to have a lot of incoming packets blocked in a short space of time. I have quite a lot logged.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:19 AM

If a firewall is blocking a lot of incoming packets, it is doing its job of protecting your computer.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

Sure it's normal especially if you don't use a router - all the bypass traffic that wants to touch your computer, relevant or not, is seen by Zone Alarm. That's the purpose of a firewall. If you get a router and block unwanted messages from the internet, ZA will be quiet as it will have much less to do.

If you do have a router and still see a flood of incoming/outgoing attempts in the ZA logs, you need to investigate the IPs involved and the services you use to permit such traffic.

Edited by tos226, 21 April 2009 - 07:30 PM.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:30 AM

Yep, it is totally normal for ZA to have a lot of them in its logs. I also use ZA and am always amazed when I look at the firewall log by the number of attempts it has blocked

#5 Toria123

Toria123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:15 AM

Thanks guys, i was starting to wonder but you have reassured me. I don't have a router so that would probably explain i have more things blocked.

#6 lindaga35

lindaga35

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:02 AM

stupid question here, router what is one and where do i get one?

Linda

#7 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:48 AM

Here's some information, that perhaps will help regarding what is a Router An article on Home Computer Networks 101 To purchase a router, options are box electronic store (don't know what country you are in) and online, and, of course, some ISPs sell, install and setup routers for their customers.

Also see:
How Home Networking Works
Wired Router Reviews
Networking and Wi-Fi
Using a router for multiple computer Internet Access

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users