Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linkscanner now available as stand alone app

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:13 AM

Grisoft announced yesterday that Linkscanner is now available as a free stand alone app.

http://linkscanner.avg.com/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:22 PM

I always wanted LinkScanner but did not like AVG AntiVirus. Now that has happened :thumbsup:
Thanks for the link and info frankp316

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,635 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:04 AM

Did they ever solve the skewed web traffic statistics and bandwidth issues that were giving webmasters headaches?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/26/av...traffic_as_ie6/

Because of that and that I'd heard it slowed AVG 8 down I didn't install that component when I tried out AVG. LinkScanner is a great security measure, but I would rather not have it as an installed program on my system. When I want to go to a site that is suspicious, I just enter the url in the LinkScanner webpage and let it scan from there. That way I don't tie up my computer's resources except occasionally and it doesn't generate much false traffic. May be a little more risky, but not by much if one keeps Windows patched.

LinkScanner Online
http://linkscanner.explabs.com/linkscanner/default.aspx

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:50 AM

Did they ever solve the skewed web traffic statistics and bandwidth issues that were giving webmasters headaches?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/26/av...traffic_as_ie6/

Because of that and that I'd heard it slowed AVG 8 down I didn't install that component when I tried out AVG. LinkScanner is a great security measure, but I would rather not have it as an installed program on my system. When I want to go to a site that is suspicious, I just enter the url in the LinkScanner webpage and let it scan from there. That way I don't tie up my computer's resources except occasionally and it doesn't generate much false traffic. May be a little more risky, but not by much if one keeps Windows patched.

LinkScanner Online
http://linkscanner.explabs.com/linkscanner/default.aspx

Thanks PapaKid for the link. But that seems to be a different LinkScanner (not AVG's)

The above link works fine, but AVG LinkScanner tells you beforehand if any page in community sites like MySpace or Facebook has malware embedded. Although, a good antivirus (or antispyware) should do the same. You cannot use online link checking tool for that kind of malware.

There are Norton SafeWeb and McAfee SiteAdvisor online tools (as well as browser toolbars for installation) available but they do not check links beforehand. Plus these tools tag most sites as safe. For example, if you check a warez site (katz) which contains malwares or links to sites having malwares; Norton SafeWeb and McAfee SiteAdvisor both tell the site is clean. But AVG LinkScanner tags the site as risky.

As far as, AVG LinkScanner is concerned it can always be closed by using right-click -> End on the system tray icon.

#5 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,635 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

Thanks PapaKid for the link. But that seems to be a different LinkScanner (not AVG's)

You're welcome for the link, but it is the same Linkscanner--AVG bought Linkscanner and integrated it into their AV just like they bought ewido anti-malware, re-named it AVG Anti-Spyware, then integrated it into AVG 8 as well. LinkScanner Online existed (and my bookmark to it) before there ever was an AVG Linkscanner.
http://www.appscout.com/2009/04/_avg_techn...oday_announ.php

AVG obtained this technology with its 2007 acquisition of Exploit Prevention Labs, whose equivalent LinkScanner Pro product sold for $29.95.

The above link works fine, but AVG LinkScanner tells you beforehand if any page in community sites like MySpace or Facebook has malware embedded. Although, a good antivirus (or antispyware) should do the same. You cannot use online link checking tool for that kind of malware.

Not sure what you're trying to say with your last sentence, but you have good points here--for people who use sites like MySpace and facebook a lot, the tool could be useful--I don't so it isn't for me. And yes, your anti-virus should protect you regardless and I don't believe in adding software that isn't really needed. Also, if it only checks for exploits on a webpage, most of those should be prevented by keeping Windows patched, as I mentioned earlier. This does, tho still not answer my question--has the false web traffic that LinkScanner generates been ameliorated in any way? If you read the entire article at the Register, AVG says there is a way to filter it out but doesn't say how. And later on the AVG people act like they really don't care if it is solved. I am just wondering if anyone knows if there has been any movement on that front as the article is getting old.

There are Norton SafeWeb and McAfee SiteAdvisor online tools (as well as browser toolbars for installation) available but they do not check links beforehand. Plus these tools tag most sites as safe. For example, if you check a warez site (katz) which contains malwares or links to sites having malwares; Norton SafeWeb and McAfee SiteAdvisor both tell the site is clean. But AVG LinkScanner tags the site as risky.

I'm not familiar with Norton SafeWeb, but I entirely agree that LinkScanner is a better tool than SiteAdvisor. The news article I quoted from above gives a more concise description of the differences between the two:

SiteAdvisor's ratings are based on a powerful automated system that checks whether sites send spam, whether they host malware, and whether they're connected to known bad sites. However, SiteAdvisor's rating system takes time to evaluate each site and may not revisit a site for weeks. LinkScanner checks each individual page you visit in real time.

So, as I understand it, that means that they don't even check for the same things on webpages. LinkScanner should check for exploits, which should be things like I-frame exploits and redirections, which are much more dangerous than visiting a site where you might download malware or get spam or follow a link to a bad url. Also, last time I checked (and it has been a while), Site Advisor allowed anyone off the street to review sites, which can be abused by people with a grudge or some bizarre agendas. Site Advisor is still useful, just in a different way--and I still will only use it's webpages and not a program or browser plugin on my system. That is just my preference.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#6 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

In the past I've used Linkscanner Free (before it was bought by AVG), Finjan SecureBrowsing (uses Kaspersky's engine) and DrWeb's URL scanner. Even though all scan links in real-time, I've never found them very reliable, all are capable of producing FP's and I think they lure inexperienced users into a false sense of security.

None of them are effective against sites that use .gif files to 'scare' the user into manually downloading the files and running them, a popular method of infection these days. Since there's no actual malicious code on the site, subsequently you get no hits with any of the programs listed above.

Example of a .gif file used:
Posted Image

Edited by RedDawn, 22 April 2009 - 02:10 PM.

#7 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

I got rid of it. It seemed to affect connectiblity to sites I go to all the time and I know are safe. It must be a bug. Once I got rid of it, no problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users