Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem booting into windows xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mazm

mazm

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:10 AM

This is my first post here.

My stepdaughter has been given a HP Pavilion 414-uk, Windows XP Home. It has had extra ram memory added but she does not now how much. Original harddrive 40gb and ram 256. That is about all I can tell you, except she has no discs at all, no recovery etc.

Everything has been running fine until! Her young son was playing on internet games (he has used them before). She left the computer on after he had finished and later in the evening after she had been on the internet to collect her web emails, she closed down and then shutdown in the usual way. However at this point the computer froze. But! instead of switching off at the power button she shut of the power from the wall .... I know shouldn't be done.

When she switched on the next day it went through the post process but up came the message roughly apologise for inconvenience but windows not successfully shutdown, a recent xxxx"

She now gets the usual list of, safe mode, safe mode command prompt, last known good configuration, safe mode network. She has tried to click on all but it just goes into a loop and starts all over again. We have tried the F8 approach - no good. Tried the F10 root which gives 2 options (regret didn't take note) she click on the one she thought was correct (do you want to restore your computer?, something like that) so she did but it then it came up that it would return it to factory state but it would remove all her files! Obviously she doesn't want that to happen.

I know there should be a repair options somewhere but cannot find anything to guide me (I have read and read).

Sorry this is so long but would be grateful for any help as she needs her computer for work at home.

Regards
mazm :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:30 AM

:flowers:

You could try here to access Recovery Console? It is a Good Tutorial from M$.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...s/wxprcons.html

Post back later?

:thumbsup:

#3 mazm

mazm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:36 AM

thanks for that. Just on my way to her computer (she live 60+ miles away!). Will read when I get there. Will post back.

mazm

#4 mazm

mazm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:16 AM

Have read the link you gave me but regret it was no good. Our problem was there is no recovery disc. We did manage to get into the recovery mode on the computer (eventually) but we did not want to go any further as my step-daughter was afraid we would lose all her files etc. So she has decided to get someone who know a little more than we do to sort it out.

Many thanks for your help :thumbsup: .

mazm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users