Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP partitions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 themeeki

themeeki

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:52 AM

Hello all,

I am running Windows XP on a Sony Vaio laptop. The missus wants to keep XP, but I want to install Linux. So, I'm going for the dual boot option. This is where the trouble starts. The machine came with everything pre-installed. The hard drive came paritioned with a 28 Gig primary partition (C:) and a 22 Gig extended partition with a logical drive (D:) - WHY???.

All that's on the D: drive are the following folders;

Click to DVD2
Contents
SXS
VAIO Entertainment
Video

That's a sum total of 66.9 Meg on a 22Gig drive - wastefull at best.

I have uninstalled Click to DVD and VAIO Entertainment through add/remove programs. I've got rid of the Video folder. SXS worries me a bit because it seems to be some kind of security settings/logs, but the real spanner is Contents. It's just an empty folder, but I can't move it or delete it, the message says that the folder is being used by the system?

All of the disc space is allocated between the primary and extended partitions, so I was going to delete the logical drive and the extended partition and then create a new primary partition to install my much awaited Linux on (I think that's the right course of action?) Unfortunately, the beloved Windows won't allow me to do anything with the D: drive because it seems to have weasled something in there - probably to prevent people like me installing a different, decent operating system.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.
Thanks,
themeeki.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:07 AM

Not done a dual boot myself but here's some info to be reading.

Dual Boot

Dual Boot 2

Skim reading it appears that you will need some partition software which can resize your partitions.

Digital Dolly is free

However I would advise backing up your current data before doing anything.

#3 themeeki

themeeki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:59 PM

sorted it - it seems that the folder I couldn't delete contained a hidden file for system vol information. Forced the delete of the logical drive and the extended partition went without a fight.

Got the space to play with Linux now - if I can ever get a dual boot sorted :thumbsup: :flowers:

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:38 PM

Oddly enough, I was also working on a VAIO laptop today and it also has two partitions - the C: partition is actually slightly smaller than the D: partition. I have absolutely no idea why Sony would do that. There is also a hidden partition that I found in the drive utility that has no apparent letter, but probably contains the operating system restore files. It's only 2-point-something gigs in size. It had very little on the D: partition - some of it was a folder of music files or something that apparently is part of the Sony Media features.

I used to keep two partitions myself so that I could put all my data on the second and then re-install if necessary without losing anything. But I've never seen a laptop set up that way.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 03:00 PM

I believe Sony sets their computers up that way.

#6 themeeki

themeeki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:41 PM

It seems so. On mine, the c: partition is slightly larger, but still, their reasoning for the d: partition is so that you have plenty space for video editing etc - think i'd buy a Mac!?

Also, the smaller partition is indeed for the system restore files, but, a word of advice - use the installed software to back this system restore up to disk (2 dvd's or 9 cd's). If you have a serious system crash, you are supposed to be able to start the machine and interupt the boot with F10 to use the system restore partition to rebuild to factory settings - this doesn't always work, but the disc version is bootable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users