I hope someone here can help me because I am nearing my wits end!
First thing's first, I am running Windows XP Professional SP3.
Something happened this past weekend and I don't know what. It started with Firefox just crashing for no particular reason. Further testing revealed that IE would also crash. I also found that trying to run cmd or regedit caused explorer to restart. Another symptom is when I browse I sometimes get random redirects to other sites. But this does not happen all the time. I checked my hosts file and it seems fine. These symptoms appear to be familiar, I've seen a lot of posts about them but I have yet to find something that will help me out. I want to also mention that something similar happened to my PC last year, in December, but I managed to cure that problem. Or so I thought.
So what software have I tried using so far?
1. I use AVG Antivirus. I recently updated to the newest version, 8.5. This installed just fine but it cannot connect to the net for updates, it always fails. But I am able to download the updates manually and then update from directory. But it's still weird how AVG cannot connect.
3. LavaSoft Ad Aware
4. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
5. www.bitdefender.com online scan
6. onecare.live.com online scan
7. sfc /scannow (but when it asks for my Windows XP SP3 CD, I keep getting messages saying it's the wrong disk. I've tried various things like copying I386 to a local disc and updating the registry but no dice. I said above that I cannot run cmd or regedit but I CAN run command and then run regedit from that window).
So I've tried a few things and in most cases the programs find something, fix it but my computer is still in the same state as before i.e., buggered.
I downloaded HijackThis and generated a report already which I can share if necessary. I tried to install ComboFix but every file I downloaded had a size of 0 bytes and I also can't delete the files because they are being locked by some process.
What else? Hmmmm. I don't know. Hopefully someone can ask me the right questions and I can get you the answers. I am dumbfounded. There is quite obviously something wrong with my PC but none of the software I have can tell me what it is. All my software is uptodate.
Another thing that just happened this evening. Now when I scroll my browser window it's very jerky. It used to be smooth.
Thanks in advance.
Edited by HibsMax, 21 April 2009 - 01:26 AM.