Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Linux for this computer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:24 AM

Hi,

So, this is the computer which I would like to put Linux on (probably alongside Windows XP, which is currently on the system):

AMD Athlon ~990MHz CPU
256MB SDRam
6GB HD.
(Onboard vid.
Onboard audio)

Based on that, which distribution would be "good" for it? I would want one that would be reasonably speedy (on those given specs), with a number of features, yet being reasonably user-friendly (Working with windows since forever, I haven't really touched linux all that much).

I would also like the distribution to be free, with a live-cd so I can try out linux from the cd first before I install it to the HD.

I did the "Which Linux is right for you" quiz as pinned at the top of the forum, it recommended "OpenSUSE" as top choice. However on wikipedia it says that OpenSUSE consumes 128-768mb, which I'm not sure if it would be ideal for the system I intend to put it on (due to hardware limitation).

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it ;) I know there's lots of guides out there that explain the distributions, but would like input from others ... & I can't decide between some of them!

Edited by funnytim, 21 April 2009 - 01:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:48 AM

Hi,

So, this is the computer which I would like to put Linux on (probably alongside Windows XP, which is currently on the system):

AMD Athlon ~990MHz CPU
256MB SDRam
6GB HD.
(Onboard vid.
Onboard audio)

Based on that, which distribution would be "good" for it? I would want one that would be reasonably speedy (on those given specs), with a number of features, yet being reasonably user-friendly (Working with windows since forever, I haven't really touched linux all that much).

I would also like the distribution to be free, with a live-cd so I can try out linux from the cd first before I install it to the HD.

Xubuntu, Puppy, DSL, or Vector Linux are all good choices for older hardware.

Try Xubuntu as a live Cd first, then install it if you wish.

http://www.xubuntu.org/get

#3 Indy452

Indy452

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:11 PM

AntiX would kick on that older computer. Plus it looks cool.
http://antix.mepis.org/index.php/Main_Page

Other wise I'd suggest one of my personal favorites...Zenwalk.

Vector linux is nice too.

#4 rcmck

rcmck

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:52 PM

You might want to check out SliTaz http://www.slitaz.org/en/ available in a live cd weighing only 30MB!

#5 painter13

painter13

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

I like Damnsmall Linux.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users