Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I keep the same motherboard and get a bigger drive?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 beckylynn420

beckylynn420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:09 PM

My HDD crashed...what a birthday present!! Anyways, the current drive in it was a WD1200 120GB drive. Can I get a 320GB drive? Or would I have to change other things besides the drive to go bigger?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jobob1

jobob1

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:22 PM

You can put in any drive you want.

#3 beckylynn420

beckylynn420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:46 PM

really?!?!? I was told that I could not put in anything larger then a 120GB because of the way the system is already set up. Can anyone else confirm this? Anyone else use a Pavilion dv6000 series that has installed a bigger drive with success?

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:57 AM

:huh:

Two Questions?

1. Do you have HP Recovery Disks? or is on a Partition on the Failed HDD.

2. Can you access any of the HDD to get your DATA, even if you set it up as a Secondary Drive on another Computer?

You can actually put in a bigger HDD, but you will need to put Windows onto that HDD, I assume it is XP? or Maybe Vista.

Sorry that became three questions, but Important ones, please Post back.

:thumbsup:

#5 beckylynn420

beckylynn420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:14 PM

I have the recovery disk for vista but it would not load....it was doing weird stuff....hubby decided to take out the drive and noticed that it was sticking. Before that it did a check disk and it found 4 bad sectors and then it would launch system recovery and would go thru full system setup and then it would loop back to start over again....

Not worried about getting info off the drive since I was all already backed on an external...not sure why it would not access the partitioned drive. I know when hubby put it back in then it said no operating system found and BIOS would not run a HD test on it.

So you think I can get the 320GB drive and just my vista recovery disk to install everything?

Thanks

Edited by beckylynn420, 21 April 2009 - 01:15 PM.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:08 PM

Unless you have a strange motherboard, you can install any capacity hard drive you want. You need to use the Vista DVD to reinstall the operating system, if your disc is damaged you should contact HP and have them send you a new one.

3939.png

#7 beckylynn420

beckylynn420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

Coolness!!! Now the only Vista disk I have is the one that they gave me in January which they called a recovery disk. Is that what I should use or do I need to purchase Vista software?

Thanks for your help peeps!!

Another question, once I get the drive, do I just install it and the software and that is it? Or is there something special I need to do? I just dont want to screw this up and really mess myself!!

Thanks again

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

The recovery disk should have the operating system on it. Some PC manufacturers have a hidden partition on the drive that the disc accesses to reinstall the software. If this partition is on the drive that failed, you may experience complications. The recovery disk resets the PC back to factory default, meaning Windows is reinstalled along with all the other crapware. You will need to format the drive, but the Windows installation program should do that automatically.

3939.png

#9 beckylynn420

beckylynn420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

So...I should:

Go by my cool 350GB drive
Install it into my system
Start'er up and install the disk?

Is there anything special I need to do as far as partioning? I know that in the factory default reset it has that option....just making sure I dont need anything else...

OH, and my motherboard should recognize it when I put it in correct? Or is there a special setup for that?

Thanks!!

#10 Ankur Singh

Ankur Singh

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:13 AM

you can easily add any amount of hard drives untill you have available slots and money
you can also go for external hdd for an easy purpose

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:24 AM

The number of hard drives you can use is limited based on the number of slots in the case, money, SATA or IDE motherboard connections, and PC power. A simple external hard drive is a good way supplement or backup data storage.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users