Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Book causes computer to freeze up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fred93

fred93

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:08 PM

Okay, here it goes—this will be a long story.

First off I should mention that my computer has a P-4 2.60CGHz --two internal HD's--running XP-Pro--My Book 500G external HD.

Last week I downloaded a video software program off the internet (freeware) to help me work on some home movies that were on DVD’s. The software was downloaded at AVS4YOU.com. I noticed right away that I was having some issues with this software and it was making my computer act strange. (Things started to really slow down and even lock up which prompted me to restart the computer many times) So I uninstalled the software from my computer, however I think that the My Book external HD may have performed a backup before I uninstalled the software. (part of my backup included the “Programs” folder on my main HD.—I know now that I should not try to backup the “Programs” folder to My Book-so I have changed that!)

After I uninstalled the video software my computer returned to normal and everything seemed to be okay. Then I noticed that when I performed a manual backup to My Book things started to freeze up. It seemed that any time I was trying to backup files to My Book, eventually my computer would start having problems. I noticed that My Book had a backup on it that was not complete—some of the files were backed up but not all of them were backed up per my scheduled list. So I tried to delete that file—I couldn’t delete, move, copy & paste, send to or rename this file. So I formatted the My Book drive as per the instructions on the WD website (http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=330&p_created=1025121240&p_sid=rtnaZxdj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MSwxJnBfcHJvZHM9MjI4LDIwOSwyMTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PTMuMjEwJnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfZm5sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9MzMw&p_li=&p_topview=1). Then I had to reinstall the WD software onto the My Book drive. I also uninstalled the main WD software on my computer and reinstalled it using the download on the WD site.

After that I started a backup to My Book. It started okay and it seemed to be working okay (the blue light on the front of My Book was going around and around) then it froze up at about 12% downloaded files. I pulled the power cable out from the back of the My Book and let it set for about 2 minutes. Then I plugged the power cable back in and it started up and the backup window on my computer started showing that the backup had started again. (to my surprise!) I had to do the same thing again at about 55% downloaded files and it finally finished backing up my normal files to the My Book.

I had called the WD Basic Phone Support number at the point were the backup stopped and while I was talking to the person at WD I had pulled the power cord out and plugged it back in and everything started again –so he and I thought that things were working okay. After I hung up with him I had to pull the power cord again—but it still finished the backup okay.

One thing that the tech mentioned on the phone call was that I should do a diagnostic test (actually I think he said to do an “Extended Test”) on the My Book drive. I was not able to find were I would go to start an “extended test” so I went to “my computer” and right clicked “My Book”, went to properties and tools and then clicked “error checking” to check the drive to errors. This procedure started but it stopped (froze up) on “Phase 4”.

The answer from WD is as follows:
Please test the drive with our Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows program. This file can be downloaded from http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?swid=3 and installed into your Windows Operating System. On this software you will find the option to run an extended test. If errors are detected, this software may be able to repair the drive. If no errors are detected, then this drive is functioning correctly. If errors are found and cannot be repair, you can use the software to "Write Zeros" to the drive; this will low-level formats the drive so it can be re-installed correctly.

My reply was:

I performed the “extended test” as you suggested. The first try failed –the process froze up/stopped after about 1 or 2 hours. I shut everything down and tried again. (In the process of getting out of the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics my computer froze up and I had to pull the power cord on My Book to get things working again). Anyway, the second try with the extended test worked okay. The My Book (drive: "I" on my computer) passed the test with no problems found. How can that be when I am having so many problems---and the problems go away whenever I pull the power cord on the My Book drive????

WD reply was:
Based on the information provided I would recommend replacing the drive. You can check the warranty of the drive on our warranty check page available on our website. The link below will direct you to the warranty check page. (OF COURSE I AM OUT OF WARRANTY!!!)
Any one have any other suggestions??? Is it time to get the LARGE hammer??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:25 PM

It's certainly time to stop relying on that drive...all the data is pretty clean, IMO.

A hard drive can fail at any time. If your drive lasted through the full warranty period...that's what was expected.

I just had a drive I bought in 2004 fail on me last week...no problem, the warranty period was 3 years and the technology for that drive is now outdated, with a faster, larger drive available today for less dollars than I spent on that drive then.

Louis

#3 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:05 AM

All righty then!

Next question is: what is a good replacement for an external BACK-UP HD??? I would like to try something other than a WD

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:31 PM

I don't use external hard drives, preferring direct connection to the motherboard or an installed hard drive controller.

But...if I wanted an external hard drive, I would simply buy an enclosure and drop one of my many hard drives in it...and connect same via USB.

An external hard drive is nothing but a regular hard drive in an enclosure.

Connecting a drive that way introduces a need for an additional power supply (for the USB enclosure), a USB connection (which is slower than a direct connection to the motherboard)...and more options for inability to access the hard drive or its data, IMO. If portability is not an issue, I would not bother with such.

Louis

#5 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:01 AM

Well, I seemed to have learned something new in the past few days. I ended up purchasing another MY BOOK (this one is a MY BOOK HOME 500 gb) because I was comfortable with the software that came with my old MY BOOK. When it arrived I found that WD had changed the software! I had five days of misery trying to get the new MY BOOK to work the way it should. I was about ready to send it back to New Egg but then I tried something different. I uninstalled the software that came with the new MY BOOK and installed the software that I was using with the old MY BOOK. It worked okay. But then I noticed that I was still having some problems. (occasional freeze ups) After thinking about the whole situation I finally realized that the problem was due to a conflict between the MY BOOK and a software that I was using to make GREETING CARDS! The software to make the GREETING CARDS is "Print Master Gold Version 16 by Broderbund". It seems that I had left the Print Master CD in my PC when I was trying to install my new MY BOOK and there must have been a conflict between the two! After I removed the Print Master CD from my PC I had no more problems (it makes me wonder if the old MY BOOK was really okay--can't tell at this point because the old MY BOOK has been destroyed) After I had everything working okay I performed a test by putting in the Print Master CD and using the software to make a greeting card. Then I remove the CD and worked on my PC---sure enough everything starting acting up (freezing up ) on my computer. I found that if I unplugged the MY BOOK USB cable and then let my PC stabilize, then do a "restart" everything would return to normal.

How screwy is that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users