Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random reboot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FaNmaN82

FaNmaN82

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

I just changed the case fans in my setup and since then my machine has been randomly reseting itself every couple of hours. When it does this it takes me to the optional safe mode screen. I tell the machine to use normal mode and windows loads then the mouse doesn't work no light or anything like its just dead, but if I then restart the machine manually the mouse will work again. I initially thought this may have been a virus because I had missed a few updates so I updated everthing and ran avg, defender and spybot and nothing came back. So I figured I would just re-install vista to see if it was software or hardware. After installing vista and all the updates and drivers for the mobo and gpu and still the same rebooting issue. I figure it's either the RAM or the gpu because I have had issues with them in the past. In bios I found that the RAM voltage was set at 1.925 which was to low so I bumped it up to 2.2 which is the correct voltage for my RAM and it is still rebooting. My next step is to reset the CMOS and flash the bios if that doesn't do it then I'm in dark. Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

AMD Athlon 64 FX-62
DFI DK 790FX M2RS MoBo
Ultra X3 1000 watt PSU
BFG 7900 GT-OC GPU
4gb (2x2) Patriot DDR2
80gb Seagate HDD
500gb Seagate HDD

Edited by FaNmaN82, 20 April 2009 - 09:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:07 PM

I think that it's kind of weird that you would be experiencing this problem after only replacing case fans. How do you have them set up? I prefer blowing out the back and top, and blowing in from the front, if at all. Do you know the temperature of your cpu and graphics card?

You may also want to try turning the voltage on the ram to 1.8V. Some motherboards/processors aren't very good with voltage changes in the ram, even if they ram is made to be ran at those higher voltages.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 FaNmaN82

FaNmaN82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:24 PM

I have 4x80mm and 1x120mm intake and an 80mm exhaust in the back and I dusted the case when I changed the fans. The CPU idles

around 32c to38c and hits 50c under a load. The GPU idles at 62c to 63c and is factory overclocked. I flashed the bios and thought

I had fixed the problem, but it reset again. I then ran Windows Memory Diagnostic on it and it passed so I reset the CMOS and on

bootup this is the message it halted on (CMOS checksum error-defaults loaded Warning! CPU over clock fail!!! please re-setting CPU

frequency in the CMOS setup) the thing is my CPU isn't even overclocked. The resetting is becoming more frequent as well, three

times today it has reset 2-4 times in a row. Set RAM voltage to 1.8 and still resetting I have looked at other forums and the

majority of people say its the RAM. While some say GPU or mobo. I'm lost any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by FaNmaN82, 22 April 2009 - 07:28 PM.

#4 FaNmaN82

FaNmaN82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:14 PM

I think I have fixed the problem. I found a forum that was talking about leaking capacitors so I started inspecting my board for this when I realized that all five of my 80mm fans were running off the same psu slot. I spread them out more and then ran windows disk check. I also noticed my cas latency was set at 5 instead of 4 like it should be I changed that as well and since then so far so good. Not sure which one it was but thats fine with me. Just as long as its fixed

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

Well I hope everything works out for you!

60 degrees Celsisus seems a bit high for a graphics card to idle at though. If you start having problems again, I would suspect this to be the culprit. The temperature while you're gaming is more important anyway, and if it's not going over 80 degrees Celsius, then you're fine.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users