Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer search box

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 katsuky

katsuky

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:24 PM

Hey guys, a few days ago I installed cyberdefender, but it was a bad program for me so I uninstalled it. What I didn't expect was, cyberdefender created a new search provider for my IE. So now, everytime I type something in the search box for IE, it automatically become the address. For example, if I type "how to get cookies" in the search box, it became "http://www.howtogetcookies.com", and ofcourse there is no such site; therefore, everytime I uses the search box, the page become not invalid. So it is very frustrating. Please help me get rid of this stupid search function. (I think this search function uses the web ws.infospace.com) I also tried to manually detele this by going into tools, manage add-on, and detele the cyberdefender search function but it did not work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:44 PM

MalwareBytes AntiMalware may remove it. Below are the instructions for using and a link to the download site.
Be sure to update MBAM after downloading and installing before running the scan.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1100727
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 katsuky

katsuky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:56 PM

I run the quick scan with Malwarebytes and it found 11 infections, but after I removed them my IE still has the problem. It seems like I'll have to do a full scan maybe.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:08 PM

In the instructions I provided it tells you how to post the log from MBAM.
Please post the log so we can get some idea what you are infected with.

Yes, it would be a good idea to run a full scan.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users