Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS wordpad

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:33 PM

Please redirect me if this isn't the right forum.
A business person sent me an email with wordpad mfc application attachments.
I don't know the first thing about wordpad+was unable to get the attachments to print correctly.
In looking thru my "all programs" section, I see there is a wordpad version 5.1. Clicking on it brings up a very intense looking blank document with a ruler on the top + all different symbols.

Where can I go to get more information about wordpad? I tried to open the attachments with Foxit Reader instead, but was denied access! Had to be wordpad mfc app. only.

Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

MS Wordpad is basic RichText editor accompanied with Windows from the time of Windows 95.

Create document in Wordpad - For Dummies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WordPad

If you have MS Word or OpenOffice or AbiWord installed, it can open Wordpad files. Wordpad can save files in many formats including TXT, RTF and DOC.

OpenOffice and AbiWord are opensource applications.

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:56 PM

I still don't get the hang of wordpad at all.
I have MS Wordpad version 5.1
Windows XP Home SP-2
I noticed there is a ruler in wordpad, but it doesn't appear to be formatted right. The ruler only goes to about 7 1/2 inches, but something I think that is called a margin or tab stop ends at 6 1/2 inches. In other words the area with the ruler measurements is white until the 6 12/ mark.
Is there an updated version for MS WordPad?
A person who sent me forms as a word doc., but the end result was pretty garbled. That person ended up having to send the copies via snail mail.
I am just surprised that Foxit Reader didn't open the documents in question.
Is there a tut here as to how to use WordPad?
Thanks
honu1

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:50 PM

To see Wordpad help, Open Wordpad and press F1.

A quick tutorial in Wordpad: http://www.wqsb.qc.ca/staffDevelopment/tut...%20Tutorial.pdf

The ruler is there to set margins, indents etc. With ruler you can know that all paragraphs have same indents etc. It is designed to work like a typewriter. A typewriter in general has a transparent ruler on top. This ruler changes with the type of page you are using like A4, A5 (File -> Page Setup). You can know where the thing you type would be printed on the paper using this ruler.

On the left side, there are two sliders. They are used for setting tabs. On the right there is a slider used to set usable page width. There is a black triangle on right which is set to the full width of the paper. This works exactly like in a typewriter with ruler.

A person who sent me forms as a word doc., but the end result was pretty garbled. That person ended up having to send the copies via snail mail.

It appears that those were MS Word documents. Wordpad supports opening only Document 6.0, it cannot open MS Word DOC files. Both types of files have .DOC file extension.

Edited by Romeo29, 22 April 2009 - 11:01 PM.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:00 AM

Microsoft provides a free .doc (Word) viewer for download. You can read and print using this application, but cannot make changes to the text.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891090

OpenOffice.org makes a complete alternative Office Suite that is free, full-featured, and compatible with MS Office files.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for the link, John.
What is the difference between Word Viewer 2003 SP-3 and Office Word Viewer 2003?
I would only be reading any future Word doc.'s anyway, so I understand the deal about not being able to edit.
Does SP-3 mean I have to have Windows XP-SP3 running?
Please translate?
Thanks
honu1

I want tot download one, but need to make sure it's the right one for me just for viewing+printing purposes.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:57 AM

Either one will do the job
Many people prefer to use Open source applications such as Open Office (Think Free)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_software

Edited by garmanma, 27 April 2009 - 07:57 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

Probably because I find so many uses for an office suite (and I use them daily at work as well), I think a computer without one is somehow "lacking" in essentials. If, however, you will only need to look at a .doc file only on occasion, then download the 2003 version (on the premise that the more generic the better).
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:30 PM

Word Viewer is total waste of time as you can only view the document not edit it. Why not use free OpenOffice? Download is only around 120 MB

#10 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:24 AM

I am not a business person, nor have a need to create + send any documents. I am just unable to view any word.doc sent via email.
In looking over the link that John gave me, it all seems so confusing. Seems I can't go to add/remove programs to uninstall this type of application either. As I am not tech savy, I'm really floundering here.
Still don't know what the difference is between Word Viewer 2003 + Word Viewer 2003 SP3
I'm still thinking it has something to do with Windows XP-SP3? I don't have that. I am using SP2.
I can't even figure out how to use notepad for goodness sakes!
There's got to be a class somewhere.

#11 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:01 PM

Hello honu1,

The Service Packs for Microsoft Office products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Word Viewer, PowerPoint Viewer, Excel Viewer) are separate from Service Packs for Windows itself.

Just click the following link to download and install Word Viewer -- click the "Download" button when you get there.

"Word Viewer":

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Then, in Internet Explorer (IE), go to Tools -> Windows Update (or Safety -> Windows Update, if you are using IE8). When you get there, if the site already says it is "Microsoft Update", proceed with checking for updates and download them. If that site says it is "Windows Update", it should offer you the opportunity to switch to "Microsoft Update" -- if so, do it (switch). The difference is that the site titled "Windows Update" will offer updates only for Windows itself, while the site titled "Microsoft Updates" will offer updates for Windows, as well as for any other Microsoft product you have installed on your system (e.g., Word Viewer).

You may be offered SP3 for Word (Word Viewer) and/or the Compatibility Pack for Word 2007 file formats (referenced at the link above). Just install whatever is recommended at Microsoft Update, and you may have to repeat the process (of going to Tools -> Windows Update) until no more updates are available. During this process, if you are offered Service Pack 3 for Windows, and you still don't want to install it (for whatever reason), then make sure that you don't select it. If it were me, I would also install SP3 for Windows, but you may have your reasons for not doing that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users