Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop is no longer under my username

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 VeryoldUser

VeryoldUser

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:07 PM

Several critical files have changed their location, and I cannot understand why.

After file corruption in my operating system, which I confirmed and corrected with chkdsk /f , I did a recovery with the installation disk. Some of my personal changes to the registry were lost but easily corrected. I had good backup of my data . . .

I am operating Windows XP SP3 on a Dell Vostro 410 with an Intel Core Quad CPU, though the hardware shouldn't matter.

BUT, locations of several files have changed.

(FIRST)

For years, my desktop has resided at: c:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop\

Since I boot from more than one operating system, it has been handy to have this address to put information onto the desktop when I am in a system which does not display this desktop.

Since repairing my system there is still such a file, and it is unchanged, but the actual desktop is displayed from a new file. Yes, I have put back on it the things I wanted there.

The new location is c:\Documents and Settings\temp\Desktop\

I suppose I can live with this, but I am distrustful that it will not change again!

[SECOND]

My OUTLOOK.PST file holds all the Outlook data that I need, and I back up that single file frequently.

It used to reside at:

"C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst"

This too has changed from my "username" to "temp". Does anyone know why? It leaves me concerned.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:22 PM

It usually only uses a temp folder when the original user folder is inaccessible for some reason, and data corruption would be one of them, so i guess you orginal profile is damaged. I would go to the control panel and create a new user, then import your mail from your old damaged profile, move my docs, desktop and favourites into their respective folders in the new profile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users