Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avira Claims Avast

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 helpmeee

helpmeee

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

I keep recieving this virus warning from avira saying this
TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen found in
C:\Documents and Settings\mylastname\Local Settings\Temp\_avast4_\unp187084161.tmp

Notice: AVAST4
I recently downloaded avast is avast infected or is this one of those false positives i hear about and by deleting it / quarantining it will i break avast

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Eradicator de malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,088 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

That is a temp file in a temp user folder. The file may be deleted outright and you should be ok.

Make sure that your system does not have both of Avira and Avast as being actively monitoring the system or both starting with Windows. You may have more than 1 AV installed, but that means you must do the extra work to insure that not all of them are active at the same time----- that's to say, only one program as the resident monitor. ok?

If you do not know how, or if it is too confusing, decide on which AV you want to keep and un-install the other.
Having 2 (or more) active AVs gives you less protection and definitely adds to conflicts.

Edited by Maurice Naggar, 20 April 2009 - 06:42 PM.

~Maurice Naggar
MS-MVP (Oct 2002 - Sept 2010)

#3 helpmeee

helpmeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:50 PM

Thanks well avast is set that it detected avira running its resident protection so it auto-canceld that shield for the time being which would you suggest to use for resident protection avast pro or avira free anti-virus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users